Thuya burl & buffalo horn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Here's a knife I finished today

thuya1copy.jpg

thuya2copy.jpg

thuya3copy.jpg

The blade is 75mm long and the handle is 92mm. The bolster is buffalo horn and the spacer is bone. The handle material is thuya burl.

Comments always appreciated :)

Michael

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The nicest high quality things are clean, elegant and deceptively simple ....this is one of them

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Lovely work, I got excited just by reading the materials in the title and the knife didn't dissapoint. As Red said sometimes less is more and this is a prime example of that. Thanks for sharing.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
looks really crisp again Mike I really like flatter/ slim handles, only constructive critisism I can think of would be to bring the plunge closer to the bolster- unless there is a good reason not to? Also to my eye although I like the black white contrast to the Bolster the horn looks a bit over powering to the overall balance of the knife maybe the thin black liner adds to this?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Mike, the fit of the blade into the bolster looks to be as perfect as one can be. I've tried to make a stick tang before and the fit wasnt like yours. I expect it would be classed as pretty good, but i dont do pretty good lol at least i dont aim for pretty good. That is spot on mate. I can see the care taken in the construction.

Superb matey. The only other stick tang i have seen with such a perfect fit is one, well, all of Scruffs ( not a member here). I expect there are plenty of makers who do excellent fits, but not many of them show pics of that area. That, to me, on a stick tang, is the hardest part. :)

Keep em coming mate. :)

Oh and did bigfoot know you borrowed his hand for the pic? lol :D

Seems Yorkshire and knifemaking go hand in hand.....no pun intended :D

Are you in the competition?

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Wow thanks everyone!

nic. Totally agree about the plunge line, in fact I've just ground two blades with no plunge line at all. The bolster on this one was an after thought. It was going to have a thuya bolster with the bone in between but lets just say the fit wasn't as good on that one.

HillBill. Yes, getting a good fit at the bolster probably takes longer than grinding the blade. Especially thick ones like on this knife. I find a stick tang knife takes me about three times as long as a similar design with a full tang.

And yes I have big hands:p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE