Thoughts On The Hilleberg Nammatj 2 GT Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Hi

Have a very itchy trigger figure at the minute, and sights are lined on the Nammatj 2 GT. Having researched, and researched some more....youtube vids etc, I thought that this tent might be the "bomber" I am after! I appreciate everyone has their own ideas but I wanted something that essentially was going to kill a number of birds with one stone: single nighters with the pooch, multiple nights with pooch, and possibly single nighters with son, and pooch. For those guys and gals out there in the woods, that can offer some thoughts on this please do so, as it would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Too much money for an almost certainly condensaity tent. Wango do one similar with a similar venting system, the nitro + carbon poles etc. Suffers in the wind with the two ends being forced together and the inner touching the outer, condensation I have read. I'd pick another type of hilleberg.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Hilleberg have a great reputation but there have been a fair reports of problems with their zippers in the last few years.

Thing that would put me off is the 4kg, absolutely no way you'd find me lugging a 4kg tent around but then i'm more a hiker than a camper so it really depends what you intend to do.

If you're not hiking far with it then i'd go for something bigger as weight wouldn't be that much of a worry, if you're likely to be hiking though i'd look at something like the Tarptent Stratoshpire 2
Mine comes in at around 1.3kg, is roomy even with 2 fully grown blokes, has 2 pretty large porches so no climbing over each over for late night trips to the bathroom.

Only down side i've found is a problem with all silnylon shelters, if it's raining the fabric stretches slightly so a tug to re-tighten the guylines is advised.

Even though it's only 1.3kg i still think this is a bit heavy so bought a Zpacks Duplex earlier in the year.
Still a roomy 2 person shelter (slightly narrower than the SS2 but more room lengthwise), still has 2 roomy porches, still has mossy netting, but it's a single skin tent.

We did manage to tear a corner on a recent trip, but to be honest we were in 60mph to 90mph winds so there is not much this side of a house that'll stand that sort of beating, for a less than 700g tent it's a testament to the quality of the tent and fabric that it stood all through the night.

It's really down to what you want to do.
A bomber of a tent sounds great sat at home, if you're covering any mileage of ascent though it makes less and less sense the further you go.
4kg is a fair bit of weigh to be lugging any distance, you then have your sleeping bag, rucksack, sleeping mat, stove, food, clothing, if your son is young you'll also likely be carrying his kit as well.

I weigh all my kit and put it on a excel file, it's amazing how quickly the weight adds up.
For me personally anything over 12kg and i really start to suffer on the 3rd day, if i can keep the weight below 12kg i find i enjoy the trip a LOT more.

Plus it's not like heavy tents like Hilleberg's don't fail, a search will bring the zipper problem but i've also read/heard of broken poles.
The tent might be able to stand a 60mph wind BUT if a peg comes out all bets are off.

Since my Duplex tore i've spent hours searching, reading and asking for bomb proof tents, the conclusion i came to was there is no such thing.
If the wind is THAT strong a bivvy bag is a better place to be than any tent, a B&B better still.

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
Thanks for all the information guys is appreciated. Good to have input as it is an important decision that I need to make. Cheers

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have a nallo 2 gt had it for 13 years nowand i would buy another one in a heart beat. Yes they are expensive but then quality always is.

Last edited:

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Nammatj 2 GT is a great tent and imho good value for the money. I do not own one myself, but I have used my brother-in-laws 3 GT tent. (I have got a Nallo 2 GT that I yet only have tested in the back yard.)

As far as condensation goes - no tent are absolutely free from condensation, but the ventilation in the Nammatj is just great. Better than most, from what I hear. Using a footprint/floor tarp/etc you further reduce the source of condensation.
Regarding failure - there is nothing in existance that do not have the potential to fail, given the right circumstances. The Nammatj is a good choice in my opinion - when it fails, almost anything else have already failed long before. This is my opinion.

I think you will be happy with that tent.

Cheers,
Greger

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
It anit so bad when the otherhalf allows you to buy it:)

there is one on ebay at the mo, be interesting to see what they go for secondhand

Last edited:

RobbieD

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2013
East Anglia
It anit so bad when the otherhalf allows you to buy it:)

I always have to organise a Special Ops to get anything into my place. So tricky getting bulky gear covertly into the house. Might try scaling the roof, and in through upstairs bedroom with a new tent - she will never know!!!!! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE