This week's interest so far

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
A Fomes Nursery
P4140134-1.jpg

My "Interesting Fauna" Finder
P4140138.jpg

Young Grass Snake
P4140137.jpg

P4140136.jpg

P4140135.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice pics Mike

Have you got him/her trained for the truffles yet ?

I've not seen any snakes yet but has anyone noticed the HUGE bees this spring ? There seems to be a lot of them about too.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
spotted this while getting the water to water the tree from adopt a tree thread.
although it seemed to be digging I couldn't see an entrance hole ?
bee2.jpg

cheers Danny

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice photos Mike :approve: especially catching a grass snake :cool:
That looks like a happy hound :D and that tree's on the way out with all those fomes erupting.......but what a find :D

Yes to the *huge* great bees. One came into the kitchen and I felt like ducking :eek:
None of the wee tiny bluebottle sized ones yet, and yet there were masses of them last year.

It's been a beautiful day up here :D

cheers,
Toddy

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
The huge bees are queen bumble bees out looking for nesting sites and gathering pollen for the first batch of workers. The numbers we are seeing indicate that this winters cold weather has suited them and we'll hopefully see their numbers increase further this year.

Nice photos! :)

Last edited:

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Thats good news Al there area a good few round here too.

How did your Bees fair over the winter?

Pretty well thanks. Cold weather is good for them as they stay together in the hive and don't fly around in mild weather hoping to find food and end up using up their stores. So with that and the sledging it's been a good winter. :)

QDanT: I'm not 100% sure of this, but the queen you saw might have been gathering mud to make the first few cells to lay eggs in for her workers. I don't think she's capable of producing the wax required for this task. Don't quote me on this, but Red Mason Bees do similar cell construction with mud in their nest tubes. So it's an educated guess.

Al

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
to Mike for the Grass Snake photos goodjob, in all my time in the hills I've never seen one, plenty of Adders both young and adult especially basking on bits of rusty corrugated metal roofing sheet around the disused quarries.Thats what I like about Forums though within one post it jumps from Snakes to Bees :D
Thanks for the info Al the pile of soil was probably the start of a fresh Mole hill as there was lots about and to Rich for the diversion, so Snakes to Bees.
Bee2-1.jpg

cheers all Danny

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE