This weekend, I will be mostly...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
What’s everyone up to ?

What plans are afoot ?

To kick things off, I hope to get two bamboo backed Ipe longbows floor tillered and glued up. I need to make bowstrings for a couple of almost finished longbows and I have a set of arrows to fletch, and a Yew log to split as well.

I also have a couple of Damascus knives in process that I want to finish out, and three or four more I want to get the handles roughed out for and glued up on. If I chew through that lot there’s a large Bowie winking at me that has been waiting to be worked on, or I might get the forge going and hammer out some new blades.

Being as I am home alone this weekend I hope to get out to harvest some Willow and/or Hazel to start my just-turned-four-year-old daughter off in basket weaving next week, and there are some second and third year growth Rose stems I have my eye on for arrow shafts on one of my regular dog walk routes…

All of the above could well change a la "the best laid plans..." but that’s my to-do list in a nutshell.

Anyone else up to anything ?

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Camping out tonight as I feel better, after my week of man flu. Was ment to be doing 2 nights now its down to one and it may even be my first solo camp. Then its a hot date on saturday with my wife as the kids are away all weekend :D

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
If it is dry, I'll be digging the veg. patch, shifting and turning over the compost heaps and clearing a space to build a new woodshed for next winter's firewood. Dinner at a friend's house (PDB on here) on Sunday evening.

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
Pinky and I are *hopefully* going to get one of the iPad 2s this evening (having a family member working in Apple is a huge bunos).
Tomorrow I am horseriding in the morning then I think we are spending the rest of the day starting to re-fence the garden.
Sunday we are attending a meet up / swap for Adult Fans of Lego (AFOLs)! :D

Yup, we are really, seriously big kids :lmao:

resnikov

Pinky and I are *hopefully* going to get one of the iPad 2s this evening (having a family member working in Apple is a huge bunos).
Tomorrow I am horseriding in the morning then I think we are spending the rest of the day starting to re-fence the garden.
Sunday we are attending a meet up / swap for Adult Fans of Lego (AFOLs)! :D

Yup, we are really, seriously big kids :lmao:

LEGO way cool :D
iPad sif! Android all the way !:p

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Chained to the kitchen.
The main worry is making a cake for the boy's first birthday. Never made a cake in my life, so don't know how that's going to pan out.
I've got some jerky marinating at the moment so will be drying it out for the Dartmoor meet next weekend.
Going to make some ramson pesto, might even do some nettle soup for good measure.

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
2 skins to scrape for buckskin, progress my shave horse and pole lathe construction, work out the nick in my SFA edge, gardening, possibly some foraging, write a job app., and peer-review a paper - and must do some Welsh class revision too...

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Chained to the kitchen.
The main worry is making a cake for the boy's first birthday. Never made a cake in my life, so don't know how that's going to pan out.
I've got some jerky marinating at the moment so will be drying it out for the Dartmoor meet next weekend.
Going to make some ramson pesto, might even do some nettle soup for good measure.

Ooooh..... interesting. Pinky and I were discussing the idea of making jerky while out, so be good to see!

I can give you a brilliant recipe for a victoria sponge cake if you want it. Just remember not to cream (beat) the butter and sugar really well, and not to overbeat your eggs! I usually bastardise mine with buttercream as well as jam, coz Pinky has a much sweeter tooth!

For anyone interested, pics of our Lego loft are here.
Note: I've not resized them and the lighting isn't great up there, so they're huge and not great quality. The layout has changed slightly since these were taken :)

Cakes - easy. Just don't overbeat eggs

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I shall be helping to thatch the new storage hut we've built in the forest youth project I volunteer with.

It's actually a 1950's concrete slab garage but as it is standing on timber beams and will be daubed as well as thatched you'd never spot it.

Before that we're planting a new apple tree in the back garden, then I want to dig out the compost bin. You can tell spring is here!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Ooooh..... interesting. Pinky and I were discussing the idea of making jerky while out, so be good to see!

I can give you a brilliant recipe for a victoria sponge cake if you want it. Just remember not to cream (beat) the butter and sugar really well, and not to overbeat your eggs! I usually bastardise mine with buttercream as well as jam, coz Pinky has a much sweeter tooth!

Cakes - easy. Just don't overbeat eggs

Yes please on the recipe. It's got to be a large cake because I want to cut out a guitar shape (over ambitious?).

I'm wondering whether to do the jerky in the oven (cheating) or with this lovely weather to do it out in the yard over a proper fire.
We'll probably polish it all off on the journey down!

resnikov

Off topic ish sorry

For anyone interested, pics of our Lego loft are here.
Note: I've not resized them and the lighting isn't great up there, so they're huge and not great quality. The layout has changed slightly since these were taken :)

Thats rather cool, are they all orginal kits or home brew ideas?
I haven't got quite that much lego but still get it out once in a while and play with it. Well I say i desgin, my wife says play :p Trying to get my 2 girls intrested in it as well.

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Off topic ish sorry

Thats rather cool, are they all orginal kits or home brew ideas?
I haven't got quite that much lego but still get it out once in a while and play with it. Well I say i desgin, my wife says play :p Trying to get my 2 girls intrested in it as well.

Mixture of original sets and own creations - I dread to think how much our lego collection is worth! :yikes:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Nothing bushcrafty for me.
On Saturday I will either be motivated and eager and plant onions, carrots, parsnips and other veg. Or I will probably take the lazt route - watch the Time Team marathon and then just slob out for the rest of the day.
On Sunday we are going to Whitstable to take in the bracing airs, eat chips, have ice creams, gulp down oysters. And browse the book shops. Probably take a detour into Faversham as well - to look around the model shop.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Probably spend some time in the shed - I have a pile of coasters to make, my work colleagues having seen my oak one. I also need to make some keyring blanks. Might drill some ventilation holes in the shed too - seems a bit damp in there.

I'll probably get out for a stroll though at some point.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Serious pruning of some wild roses in my garden. They haven't been done for 10 years so its hard work. Being taken for a birthday lunch on Sunday and spending some time in my shed.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
......For anyone interested, pics of our Lego loft are here.
Note: I've not resized them and the lighting isn't great up there, so they're huge and not great quality. The layout has changed slightly since these were taken :).....

this weekend i shall be mostly trying to find out where nova & pinky live so i can sneak in to their loft and have a play with the lego!

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE