This mushroom has me stumped..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rumi

Forager
This mushroom appeared overnight and I have gone through several books and have no idea. It is growing in a derelict 500 year old hedge with Hawthorn, Elder, Ash and other herbaceous species. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The cap is slimy, scent is non descript, the slime seems stringy like cobweb.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

My interest is beyond edibility only.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
An interesting link, however I'm a little confused. It says this:

Pluteus umbrosus is a fairly rare late summer and autumn fungus that grows on the rotting wood debris of deciduous trees. The radially wrinkled cap and pale pink gills are distinctive.

Then later in the occurence bit says this:

Widespread and very common.

So it is a Widespread and very common rare fungi? :lmao:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hi Geoff

I have just found it in my Roger Phillips, its not illustrated, but it is marked as edible. Have you any experience of eating this fungi?

Rumi

It's illustrated in both the original and new version of Phillips, so I don't know which version you've got...

No, I've never eaten this one. I haven't seen it very often. I've eaten Pluteus cervinus though. Nothing to write home about...

Rumi

Forager
DUH!

You are right!

It's illustrated in both the original and new version of Phillips

What threw me was the photo (in the book) showed the mushroom to have tan gills and the size description to be considerably smaller. The specimen I have shown is 20cm tall and and about 12cm dia cap. It really is an impressive mushroom. Its in a very sheltered spot so maybe this is what has allowed it to gain such a good height.

Rumi

Rumi

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Rumi,

I'm not sure about the slime. There's a potential here for confusion with Cortinarius elatior (not in Phillips, but take a look in the Collins complete guide if you've got it). Pluteus umbrosus isn't listed as having a slimy cap, but C. elatior is, and both have brown wrinkles on the cap. That said, if what you've posted is a cortinarius then it's a very strange-looking cortinarius...

Geoff

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
DUH!

You are right!

What threw me was the photo (in the book) showed the mushroom to have tan gills and the size description to be considerably smaller. The specimen I have shown is 20cm tall and and about 12cm dia cap. It really is an impressive mushroom. Its in a very sheltered spot so maybe this is what has allowed it to gain such a good height.

Rumi

Rumi

I reckon we don't know what this one is.... ;)

I'm still betting it's an oversized pluteus, but there's no way I'd eat it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE