This is sad

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sad indeed. I there are apex predators around, then its going to happen occasionally I guess

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That is sad news

I was surprised to hear of the black bear attack in New Jersey last month, from the time I've spent at the NABC I just can't imagine a black being aggressive

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That is sad news

I was surprised to hear of the black bear attack in New Jersey last month, from the time I've spent at the NABC I just can't imagine a black being aggressive

Same here. Having watched The Man who Lives with Bears I was kind of convinced they were misunderstood.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
*any* species can be aggressive. It's all circumstances. We had a horse (a stallion) who was permanently aggressive and had killed someone (not on our stud).
Someone was killed by a beaver, ISTR.
A kid was killed by a pet dog last week in the UK.

Bears are big omnivores. Get near their young, or have one with rotten teeth that's hungry, corner one . . .

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
The strangest part is having the bear enter their home, causing them to run outside.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...a-huber-s-house-before-fatal-attack-1.2805905

Shewie, blacks can be very aggressive. Many black bear encounters occur here every year but thankfully attacks are rare. Despite all the problems with bears, only attacks and fatalities are ever recorded but a number of aggressive bears are shot every year all across the country but never make the news if no injuries were reported.

A list of fatal bear attacks, our most recent this past May.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Same here. Having watched The Man who Lives with Bears I was kind of convinced they were misunderstood.

Timothy Treadwell (born Timothy Dexter; April 29, 1957 – October 5, 2003) was an American bear enthusiast, environmentalist, amateur naturalist, eco-warrior, and documentary filmmaker and founder of Grizzly people. He lived with the grizzly bears of Katmai National Park in Alaska for 13 summers. At the end of his 13th summer in the park in 2003, he and his girlfriend Amie Huguenard (October 23, 1965 – October 5, 2003) were killed and partially eaten by a grizzly bear.[SUP][1][/SUP] Treadwell's life, work, and death were the subject of Werner Herzog's critically acclaimed 2005 documentary film Grizzly Man.[SUP][2][/SUP]

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think nice was referring to the work of Dr Lynn Rogers rather than that fruitcake Treadwell ...

[video]http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODQwOTg0MTI=.html[/video]

I see. Thanks for the link; I hope to get time to watch that whole thing later, but TBH, the opening few minutes seems to portray this guy as a bit extreme as well.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I see. Thanks for the link; I hope to get time to watch that whole thing later, but TBH, the opening few minutes seems to portray this guy as a bit extreme as well.

He's a really nice guy when you meet him, I think what he's trying to achieve through education is to be commended, although he's had some bad press recently in the MN news

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
oh aye bears are not to be messed with, they are massive creatures but boy can they move, amazingly fast runners and climbers

and pity the fool that encounters a mother and her cubs they will defend them to the max

[video=youtube;TakfR9rzKTk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TakfR9rzKTk[/video]

would love to go over and hike a bit of the apalachian trail but dont fancy encountering a bear, also having to keep your food etc up high in bear containers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE