thinking about getting a gas stove.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
I normally use a small gas stove but after waiting for 20 mins to boil some water (ended up lighting a fire and puttin my pan on a couple of logs) I'll be getting a coleman or chinese multi-fuel stove that ~I can run on petrol will be a bit heavier but probs cheaper to run.

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
im stuck for choices, im tempted to get a pocket rocket or this ebay stove, does anyone have this ebay stove if so can you tell us more about it? is it only gas or can other fuels be used on it?
thanx

I had a look at a very similar-looking stove to the eBay one in Blacks in Holborn the other day. Looked poorly made and unwieldy compared to the Pocket Rocket. You get what you pay for, I suppose...

Match the Pocket Rocket with the 106g tri-fuel cartridges, and you'll have a dependable bit of kit that's incredibly compact.

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
I took a leap of faith before Christmas and bought the Chinese stove off Ebay that Rik posted as a suggestion. I took delivery of it today (having accidentally requested it be posted to my work address ;-)

I'm very pleased indeed. Here are some pictures. It fits inside a 10cm Zebra billy like it was designed to from the start. The lid fits snugly on top without being raised at all:

DSC03284.jpg

This is what it looks like when taken out of the Billy:

DSC03286.jpg

And unfolds like so:

DSC03291.jpgDSC03292.jpg

The view from underneath:

DSC03293.jpg

Detail of the burner where the gas enters, showing the preheat pipe:

DSC03294.JPG

The valve and attachment for the gas cannister - the union with the pipe at both ends rotates to allow the cylinder to be used inverted in cold weather:

DSC03287.jpg

With the 10cm billy on top loads of spare room up there:

DSC03295.JPG

And a very nice and very controllable flame:

DSC03299.jpg

After about 10 minutes of playing with this stove I would definitely recommend it. We'll see how it goes in use ;-)

Peter

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ummm, im tempted to get one of these myself, but have noticed the price has risen since before Chrimbo, note to self: buy it when it's on sale

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've just used both a pocket rocket with bog-standard gas cartridge (not sure of the gas mix) and a woodburner (Bushbuddy) on a winter trip. Cold but generally above freezing, but very wet conditions. Of tyhe two I found the gas stove much the easier to use, quicker to light, quicker to boil, no smoke, and no need to carry seasoned wood with you. I like my Bushbuddy, but in wet conditions give me a gas stove every time.

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Ummm, im tempted to get one of these myself, but have noticed the price has risen since before Chrimbo, note to self: buy it when it's on sale

I am told that he is open to offers via his EBay page. Also there is supposedly a direct website, www.plus2city.com, offering 'prettier price'; that is according to a slip of paper in with the stove ;-)

Peter

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I am told that he is open to offers via his EBay page. Also there is supposedly a direct website, www.plus2city.com, offering 'prettier price'; that is according to a slip of paper in with the stove ;-)

Peter

Cheers Peter,. yep that website certainly has better prices than his ebay page, out of stock at the moment though:(

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
iv decided not to get a gas stove now, I made myself a whitebox stove instead as its cheaper and lighter, i may buy gas at a later date

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
And someone mentioned a Multi fuel Chinese stove ?

The links to both the EBay and direct Chinese websites given in the emails above do include several stoves that appears to work with both liquid fuel and gas cannisters. I don't have this one, so cannot comment on its performance however.

Edit: Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camping-Stove-Gasoline-Gas-Multi-Stove-S-9-x1set-/120713425561?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item1c1b14b299

Or Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gasoline-Gas-stove-complete-set-TK900-/120713531428?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item1c1b165024

Peter

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The links to both the EBay and direct Chinese websites given in the emails above do include several stoves that appears to work with both liquid fuel and gas cannisters. I don't have this one, so cannot comment on its performance however.

Edit: Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camping-S...amping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item1c1b14b299

Or Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gasoline-...amping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item1c1b165024

Peter

Ta, not a RED Army style one then ?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ive had one of these for 12 years (First and best gas stove I ever bought) cheap, very stable and pretty efficient especially when you rig up a windshield for it. Hope that helps.

PS. No experience with the website I linked you, just from a google search

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm going gas for the TGO Challenge next year, I was thinking of taking my Bushbuddy and backing it up with a meths stove. Over 14 days I reckon the Jetboil Sol will see me good on two 100g carts, that's 24L. Gram for gram over a longer trip gas wins every time compared to meths, if only there was guaranteed dry wood in the Highlands :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE