They're here !!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The ultimate zombie proof shelters for the gregarious wishing to bring the urban back into the woods...................ideal for desert enviroments too.

[video=youtube_share;SqImIChxJ-E]http://youtu.be/SqImIChxJ-E[/video]

Tarpville will never be the same again.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The ultimate hammock!
Are they waterproof?
Are they breathable?
If not - well about as much use as a chocolate tea-pot!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hmmmm. 5 ton ratchet straps mixed with someone who is a bit overzealous cranking it up and a tree that's not to well rooted. Maybe I'm just nit-picking here but that doesn't float my boat, even if it were breathable and waterproof. Clever idea, just got to ask yourself why it's really needed?

LOL! Just imagine the size of the underquilt!

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Hmmmm. 5 ton ratchet straps mixed with someone who is a bit overzealous cranking it up and a tree that's not to well rooted. Maybe I'm just nit-picking here but that doesn't float my boat, even if it were breathable and waterproof. Clever idea, just got to ask yourself why it's really needed?

I'm with you on that one Biker - I thought the same thing. It could end badly, especially if you pitched it high up. A longer fulcrum = more leverage = more chance of hitting the ground rather hard!

I don't really understand how it avoids pitching all the occupants towards the middle either, though he claimed in the video that it doesn't.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I can see your point Biker but although the straps may be able to take 5 tons could the tent ?.....since the straps are attached to each corner & don't run through the tent, wouldn't the thing just split a pull apart long before there was enough force to uproot a tree ?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I can see your point Biker but although the straps may be able to take 5 tons could the tent ?.....since the straps are attached to each corner & don't run through the tent, wouldn't the thing just split a pull apart long before there was enough force to uproot a tree ?

And that'd be £900 in three pieces. Point taken though, the tent/hammock would fail sooner than the straps, but my point still stands about amateurs over cranking those straps and wrecking their tent or doing a tree in. He mentioned using bollards and lamp posts as secure points, I wonder if he'd even considered that these things aren't designed for sideways stresses? Like cave_dweller said above, the higher up you go the fulcrum increases the leverage and stesses the securing point towards dramatic failure. Just imagine what Joe Bloggs would secure it to. Then add three people in that hammock up high on a those guitar string tensioned straps and something's gonna fail.

Sorry for the criticism, it's not personal, I just see too many things that are gimmicky to it. If taken light heartedly I can see the fun aspect. Maybe I'm tired and grumpy after a long day scribing and fitting skirting boards on a carpentry job I was on.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Sorry for the criticism, it's not personal, I just see too many things that are gimmicky to it. If taken light heartedly I can see the fun aspect. Maybe I'm tired and grumpy after a long day scribing and fitting skirting boards on a carpentry job I was on.

Haha criticize all you want Biker................that's why I posted it in the first place. ;)

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I`m planning to buy one of those next month.
I can see that it is not perfect, but the monkey in me tells me that I need it anyway ;)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The fact that the straps go through the body of the tent and the edge curvature will stop too much sag, but the single skin will cause condensation problems and I imagine it could get a bit sea sick inducing in high winds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE