Thetford forest - anyone bushcrafting here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi
thetford forest is the largest lowland conifer woodland. I have just got a map of it and considering it's about same travelling time as my normal wood I fancy a look.

The problem is that it's huge and almost featureless. I don't know where to begin! Anyone playing there or had good/bad experiences?

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
You'll have to make sure you're not in a nature reserve or mil training area. Usually fenced well and flagged / signed but not always. If you come across a portaloo then you're definitely in the training area. I've done and run loads of camping, survival and E&E training there but then I was being paid to do it! Plus I'd booked the areas too!
A few interesting fungi in there in season, it's where I saw my largest stinkhorn to date, and I do mean enormous!
If there's lots of helo's don't even stop they get very antsy with interlopers when prepping for a "tour overseas".

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
the Norwich and Norfolk group have camped at the scout site( two mile bottom) 3 seperate times, each time was good, no problems etc but since then we have tried in vain to contact them the seem to ignore E-mails/phone calls.

you're welcome to join us, we're having a local moot near Norwich in the spring! we have full use of a dissused airfield (now woodland) south of Norwich, basically anything goes, no rules to break!

Thetford Forrest? the place is so big you could hold meets for days on end without seeing anyone else, but the problem is always a safe place to park, fire risk, water supply, and the law!

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Don't wander on to the archery course in full camo either!
A lot of the forest is army training area too!

just to warn you.

My scout group used to camp in a private woodland near Merton (near watton), i went back for a wander into the woods a couple of years after and found among other things an MoD smoke grenade that had been used, orange powder everywhere!

the army does "leak" over the edge of the training area borders somewhat!

Would agree with what everyone's said here! Looks lovely on an O.S map to dream about, and even to drive through! But there's far too much MOD property, and Forestry Commission land for pine felling! You could probably find a quiet little corner after some heavy searching, but I wouldn't like to try it!

Had a job all last year, where I had to drive twice a day through the forest (Thetford-Brandon-Swaffham route!) Once in the evening, and once at 4am, 5 days a week. The only places to park are mainly lay-bys at the side of the road, and every morning and evening, police patrols would come by, checking for parked cars and inspecting them.. mainly for young boy racers smoking dope, and to catch 'Doggers'.. Yeh.. men with tackle out and wound down car windows! (sorry to get on the rude note.. but it has to be warned of.. Thetford is well known for it!.. so I've been told!!

Hired/permission area's I think is a must!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:(

one of the ways around the car parking problem is to arrive by train/bus.

I used to know someone that camped and walked regularly on the Mod land, basically he was egnored as some areas are open for fishermen and walking groups. often he set up his poncho and spent ages just watching the troops run around.

I remember on exercise with the TA we were camped up in some farm buildings here, (top left of the lake):

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...21914,0.739195&spn=0.012325,0.027122&t=h&z=15

we were all cammed up with rifles and evading guys dressed in soviet gear, all night fishermen were wandering around.

your really could get away with it but there would be a genuine danger of unexploded munitions and stray rounds. not sure a risk I want to take.

last time i was invited on a training area i left with 2 free empty ammo boxes, a tripflare stand, a used parachute flare, and a grenade pin.:cool: (cool if you like that sort of thing);)

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
The training areas are well defined on the maps. Even the rifle range is. I have no plan to go near them.

Considering the size of the place I thought it would be great to explore. I have a favourite 523 acre mixed woodland but fancy exploring thetford as I hear there is red deer there.

I heard dogging was popular in norfolk. Would it not be classed as bushcraft? Out in the woods using your equipment, no one quite understanding your hobby?

I think I will have to look at my OS map and pick a few spots to walk around and see if I like the place. I would find it pretty boring wandering through plantation rows so hopefully it has more to offer than that.

Hello Leigh,

Theford forest is all but on my doorstep. I have both OS Landranger and Explorer maps that cover most of the forest in my area. They are ok but only show the main forest rides. The visitor centre at Brandon Park did used to sell a map of the park showing both walks and cycle routes plus plantation numbers. I found it useful in planning where to go to avoid the visitors and cyclists. The quieter parts are best for any chance to see wildlife.

If you want to meet up and exchange knowledge and to explore parts then just drop me a PM.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Fruit loop, a meet up would be cool. Would be interested to know your bacground and interests to see if we enjoy similar things.

I am after seeing some red deer there and have some degree of tracking skills. I would be looking possibly at doing the odd over nighter providing circumstances are good. Anyone else interested is welcome

Hello Leigh,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

I enjoy photography, watching wildlife, open canoeing and walking. If I am lucky I get to combine them together. I have not really tracked anything only looked at the signs and make a guess to the animal and then check in a book. I (cannot confirm or deny) have overnighted, a case of set up late and packed up early without leaving a trace. I have been lucky enough to see red deer during early morning walks. At the weekends on certain fire routes Huskies being trained and exercised so you have to travel deeper into the forest to see wildlife.

Last edited:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I think as a basic guide just go a long way the opposite direction form anything touristy!

Just a a guide A friend and I went camping for a couple of nights in Thetford Forrest back in the late 80's, it ended up a near disater, but that's another story!;)

we chose a place waaay off any trails...near a river.

we had an open fire, tent, collected rainwater on a huge tarp, i was getting fire wood turned around and 10ft from me was a red deer stag with huge antlers! I guess the smell of the fire and my friend mucking about in the distance masked my scent/noise.

we were camped here (roughly at the white square in between the forestry blocks)
zoom out you'll see how close it is to the town, well within walking distance from the train station.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.441179,0.720849&spn=0.012766,0.027595&t=h&z=15

we camped there before the duel A11 carriageway was built (to the east).

basically we only saw one person at a distance.

we were set up about 10 meters back into the forestry block we could have stayed there for days, without seeing anyone.

once you get past recent footprints and onto paths that have branches across them and grass at shin level you know you won't see many people :27:
(It is not a public wood as far as I know)

:27: I'm not saying you should...I'm saying you could ;) :27:

Last edited:

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
Rappleby,

Just looked at your map link and, as a local, thought I should warn folk.....

That whole area is used by a lot of youths from Thetford, for night motorcross racing, fires, parties etc, which has all attracted police interest recently. I did a walk round the area recently and must have found 5 or 6 littered, burnt sites. You're best well away from the forest near Thetford and Brandon towns. I even walked by a camp of half a dozen Polish lads who seem to have made home there by the river.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Rappleby,

Just looked at your map link and, as a local, thought I should warn folk.....

That whole area is used by a lot of youths from Thetford, for night motorcross racing, fires, parties etc, which has all attracted police interest recently. I did a walk round the area recently and must have found 5 or 6 littered, burnt sites. You're best well away from the forest near Thetford and Brandon towns. I even walked by a camp of half a dozen Polish lads who seem to have made home there by the river.
aw!

by the way the area is down stream from a sewage plant! :lmao:

Hello all,

Rappleby,

I always make sure that where I go is away from the herds of tourists that follow the way marked paths. I posted the link to help others do the same. You only need to go a short distance to get into the unused parts of the forest. I tend to used the 'fire routes' for easy walking before taking an overgrown side track to escape from the herds.

Brown Bear,

I see you state that you are a local, I just wondered exactly how local?
I grew up in Brandon and the forest was our playground. I have seen many changes in the forest due to harvesting, fires, return to heathland projects, etc. I try to use and enjoy the forest and waterways as much as possible. I would say you could find me most days but, it is so large with so many places to get away from the tourist types.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
By the way incase any of you are interested: N&N group are meeting, you are all welcome.

Meet at Bawdeswell common Saturday 27th Next Saturday!

launditch1
meet at Bawdeswell common between Norwich and Fakenham
Its a really nice woodland on an old common with lots of Birch (tapping anyone?)found a fair few poly-pore's as well.
Not this weekend but next

If you go past Bawdeswell garden center(on your right heading Fakenham direction)it will be the next left signposted Swanton Morley(iirc).Travel down that road about a quarter mile and there will be a small parking area on your right in the woods.That's be the place!
The terrain is fairly hilly in parts but these are Norfolk hills so it should be OK!
A bimble and a brew in Bawdeswell.
Saturday 27th Next Saturday!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE