Thermometer - Recording Overnight Temperatures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I am looking for a digital thermometer to record overnight temperatures (through this winter), I want it to be small/light, power-efficient (hopefully running on a watch-battery etc). I need it to be able to remember minimum & maximum temps.

Any recommendations? I'm not looking to spend a large amount of money on an item like this, so please don't suggest £80+ solutions!

Why? As I imagine we all do; I am interested in testing various combinations of kit & different sleep-systems through the winter and in order to judge each one I need to be able to compare the lowest temperatures that I've slept in each sleep-system. Thanks for your time,

:campfire:

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Was looking for the same thing myself to test the maximum my kit could keep me comfortable to...

Item number: 280486816259 on a well known auction site might be just the job

TBL.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Personally I'd spend the money on a hot water bottle but if I had to have a thermometer I'd go for one that doesn't need a battery at all. Something like these... http://www.brannanshop.co.uk/acatalog/maximum_minimum_thermometers.html#18

Don't get too scientific about it, the differences in your body state from day to day can be worth much more than a few degrees on the thermometer, and anyway to do a proper job you'd need to factor in when you got your head down, the wind speed and direction, humidity, rainfall, air pressure, cloud cover ...

Probably the most important asset will be a notebook in which you write details of your setup, the weather, and your subjective comfort for each test.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
... Don't get too scientific about it, the differences in your body state from day to day can be worth much more than a few degrees on the thermometer, and anyway to do a proper job you'd need to factor in when you got your head down, the wind speed and direction, humidity, rainfall, air pressure, cloud cover ...

Probably the most important asset will be a notebook in which you write details of your setup, the weather, and your subjective comfort for each test.
lol.. you start by saying don't get too scientific about it, but then detail things to make it far more scientific than I ever planned! :p

I really liked the look of this one TBL mentioned: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....ee-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1#ht_759wt_1139 - It's really small & matches all my other requirements I think.

I was also just chatting to my friend Martin in the NaturalBushcraft Chatroom and he just went ahead & bought this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320602719594#ht_996wt_905 - Which again looks acceptable, a little larger than I hoped but it does have the benifit of inside/outside temps, so you can tell what it is inside and outside a tent for example.

A batteryless option like ged mentioned would be nice, but they are typically a little larger.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Something to mention is to check the extreme highs and lows, I've heard about some of the guys in the US using them for winter hammocking and they've packed in when they've reached -10 or thereabouts.

I think having the sensor on a cable is a good idea too, that way you get to keep the batteries and the clever bits warm in your pocket/hammock.

Let us know which one you end up going for Ash as I wouldn't mind one myself one day.

We use several different types at work we have one with the sensor on a flying lead which gives you inside and outside temperature with min max and average readings. We also have a couple of usb temperature/humidity devices and they are really good. You can set them up to take a readings at given intervals and then download it to a PC and get graphs showing trends. They do cost a bit more than the other type.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Don't get too scientific about it ...

lol.. you start by saying don't get too scientific about it, but then detail things to make it far more scientific than I ever planned! :p

I wasn't suggesting that you do all that stuff! :)

It's just that there's way more to being comfortable than the temperature. My personal take on it is that if my kit and I are dry, I don't really care what the temperature is. The worst nights I've spent camping have been when it's been mild, but the humidity has been up near 100%, and I've had to sleep in damp kit.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wasn't suggesting that you do all that stuff! :)

It's just that there's way more to being comfortable than the temperature. My personal take on it is that if my kit and I are dry, I don't really care what the temperature is. The worst nights I've spent camping have been when it's been mild, but the humidity has been up near 100%, and I've had to sleep in damp kit.

I think Ashley was meaning that he wants to test some gear in winter when the temperatures get low, probably a dry cold if last winter was anything to go by.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for all your suggestions folks, some really good ideas; I'm liking the idea of having a sensor on a lead now. Never thought of an analog solution at first but now it's a consideration. I don't want a fully-featured weather-station though (don't want the bulk & haven't got the spare cash!)

...It's just that there's way more to being comfortable than the temperature. My personal take on it is that if my kit and I are dry, I don't really care what the temperature is.
I know there are more attributes to getting a comfy night - I'm not debating that; as the title of the thread suggests I'm purely interested in recording overnight temperatures. Unlike yourself I do care what the temperature is :) Thanks all,

seg1959

Forager
Feb 8, 2010
Surrey, UK
I bought one from Class Ohlsen (sp?) for £3.99. I is a dual temp thermometer with a 1m long wire sensor - so you are supposed to have it on your windowsill with thewire hanging out and it measures the room temp and the outside temp. It also has a min/max function, and it stores the lowest and highest temperatures it has measured. From memory it measures about 10cm x 3cm x 0.8cm (same as a thin phone). For the price....

seg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE