Therm-a-rest NeoAir Venture.... Or?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

I'd like to get a self-inflating mat that's lighter and packs smaller than my current one, which is a Highlander Thermalite somethingorother fairly thick rectangular jobbie, full length, that weighs 1.1kg and packs down to about 34cm long by 18cm diameter.

The replacement must be full length and suitable for 3 season use. I noticed that the Therma-a-rest NeoAir Venture is the right size and much lighter and more compact (620g, 23x11cm), while still at a sensible price...

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/ther...v-sleeping-mat-regular-83120134?id_colour=124

I thought it was self-inflating at first, but it seems not. Is inflating it a hassle? How is it for comfort? What's with the tubular baffle thingies - if you rest on an elbow, does the elbow squash it and hit the ground?

What about the ProLite instead?

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/therm-a-rest-prolite-regular-mat-2012-83120085?id_colour=157

Getting a bit spendy (even with BCUK discount), but I think I'd be willing to go for it to get the weight and bulk down (480g, 28x10cm). That seems tiny compared to the Thermalite.

Any others I should consider?

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
If your looking to spend pro lite money, have a look at the neo xlite large which I have, and also the exped synmat ul. Both are very lite and are big so you will get maximum comfort.
They are not too bad to blow up, but you can get bags that you put over the valve and fill with air to pump them up.

Hope this helps
Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N

Nomad

A lot of people like multi mats mate, nothing wrong with them at all

Aye, opinion seems to be nearly all positive. Methinks I'll pop out a little later and have a look at one (with the old one in tow for comparison).

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
For years I eschewed the cost of a thermorest and opted for a closed cell mat instead. Then I managed to try a thermorest and realised that I'd been a fool - the comfort level was way above the closed cell mat - what on earth was I thinking? My thermorest has served me well for many years and I thought I'd get a replacement, so it was off to the outdoor shop, with the full intent of just buying a generic replacement.

Then the shop assistant invited me to try the neo air........ OMG the comfort level was a leap again from the thermorest. Suffice to say, I parted with a lot more cash than I had originally planned on, but what price a quality night's sleep? I think that the neoair is the dog's dangly's. Just try one out if you can.

Rather than buy the 'pump' I modified a cheap tesco dry-sac. I cut out a hole, glued in some rubber sheet (tension band from asda) and stamped a hole in the rubber sheet to fit round the valve. It works perfectly.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
When not in the hammock I now use a Thermarest NeoAir Xtherm L and love it. Comfy, a good size when in use, small and light when packed and generally great.

For car camping I use Thermarest Dreamtime mats which are as comfy as my bed at home but for convenience/comfort balance, the Xtherm wins hands down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE