There's an app. for that

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
2 questions:-

What iphone apps have you found of use in the bush?

What iphone apps might be useful to be developed for the bush?

This might be both serious and lighthearted in approach.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was thinking about this the other day Richard, I thought a plant/tree/fungi/tracking ID tool might be useful. Even if it's just reference material it could be good.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I'd love to have some relevant iPhone apps, but the battery life's not great on the iPhone so I tend not to take it out.

More importantly, bl**dy O2 doesn't give you a signal unless you're in the middle of town, I've completely given in on them when I'm out and about. So much for the iPhone idea...

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I dont have an iphone so im not sure if my phone has the same features, but i do find the best thing i have found for outdoor use is the ON/OFF button, preferably in the OFF position i find i relax and learn much more! ;)

cheers
Louis

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I find if I leave my cell phone ON during a wilderness trip, I will hear a beeping persistantly, as the battery gets drained trying to find a signal, it lasts an hour or less without a signal. I hate to think what would happen to an iPhone in the wild, I would think it would be in the "paperweight mode" in short order! Cheers :)

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I was thinking about this the other day Richard, I thought a plant/tree/fungi/tracking ID tool might be useful. Even if it's just reference material it could be good.

As usual, Rich is right on the money. I'm with him 100% on this suggestion.

I'd LOVE a plant/tree reference on my iphone, selectable by region. The existing plant/tree guides are a joke -- the databases are too thin to be valuable.

Supposedly the National Science Foundation here in the states is preparing a plant identification guide, but that's not out yet. Plus, I doubt it will provide adequate coverage in the UK.

I'd also love a regional bird guide, with video and/or samples of the different bird songs.

Like Rich's idea, but why would it be better than a Collins Gem sized paper guide? I suppose it could include sound clips of bird song and animal noises, and be searchable.
For fun, I have GPSlite and OSMaps on my iPhone, but they only work when there's a good signal, so don't tend to use them in anger.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I don't have an iphone, but I do have a Samsung Something Or Other, and that has a GPS on it!
To be honest, in the middle of Kent it's not much use, really. But great fun to play with. And I do get a kick out of knowing that I have a GPS.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I dont have the phone but have an Itouch mp3 player. Best apps so far I have found for Bushcraft are the Star map and the video one called Knot Time. Other than that nothing.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
very soon O2's contract runs out with apple, this is the 'Exclusive' contract so from that point on orange, t-mobile and whoever can have iphones on their networks (yay)
so you should start getting coverage from other operators after christmas.

i think an identification app, perhaps even the collins gem pocket books in i-phone form would be spot on.
has anyone considered a hunting calander too?, whats in season and perhaps a small thing on legalities and limitations/licences.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I can think of nothing worse rhan having my phone switched on when I am out in the wilds.
I am there to get away from all that kind of thing!
I do carry the phone for emergency use though...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Most of the places I end up I don't get a signal anyway, much to swmbos disapproval when I can't ring her before bed time.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Don't have an iphone but I use my phone to take pictures for IDing later, telling the time and sometimes as a glowstick.
Also handy if I do break my ankle or suchlike falling in a ditch or something.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I do take my phone with me but i can turn the phone part off and just the use PDA bit.
I have stuck a large flash card in mine and ripped whole identification websites to it. This means i dont need an internet connection or a phone signal yet i can still use rogers mushrooms or my other favourite tree/plant id sites offline.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Apparently (im not an owner) there is an app that uses the GPS to plot the stars above you, so you can tell what you are seeing for those off us not so astronomically minded, i also know they have an app that you can record part of a tune off the radio and it will tell you what the song is so you can buy it from ITUNEStm, but flip side to this is could it be used to identify animal noises?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
he he, i don't even get a signal where i live :D

If I had one i'd want an app that works like those toys the kids can get, where it asks you questions and you answer and based on your answer it narrows down what it can be.
Say - Fungi version, is it's basic shape like this?, is it white, is it black, is it on ash, is it hard etc etc It it highly likely that you have king alfed cake.....Deathcap......Chicken of the woods etc

That for Fungi, trees, plants etc would be good. I think you'd still need to have some books on hand to really nail it (unless it's obvious) but it would help.

Also a map app that will allow you to record info - found a good blackberry patch here, lots of hazelnuts in this hidden garden, canoe access here...etc

There's already likely to be a recipe app and a journal one.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In the deep vallies of Wild West Wales (even near the top of some hills!) no phone known to man will get a signal.....
It is one of the bonuses you get from living around here!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
very true about wales, i kept loosing signal over on the LLeyn Penninsula. then again i had the same around the peak district, jolly nice not to have the phone for a while tho.

jack by the hedge

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2009
Leeds, W.yorks
It's been my dirty little secret that i use my iPhone when I'm out, so I'm glad that others have outed themselves. First up, i keep it turned off/ power limited for most of the time. That way i can get it to last the whole weekend away. I've been working on a design for a AAA battery pack which i want to build using only parts from Maplins. If i ever get it working i'll post the designs here.

Apps: Photo, I Geotag things of interest so i can map them later, good for plants and insects

pUnivserse: THE ONLY app everyone should have.

isurvive and survival: Both ports of US army field books

iFirst Aid: basic what to do, just i case something happens to me and i need someone to help me

oMaps: not much use but has it's place if you don't know the surrounding villages

MotionX GPS: Great little GPS package

iDisk / Folders: used the most for PDF's and Website rips

B.icycle: Bike GPS / computer for getting from A to B

The PDF's and website rips are the most use, videos and music can be nice but normally i like to treat it as a reference book and camera only.

A database for identification and skills would be super and I'm happy to work with anybody to make that happen as it's been a back burner project for the last year.

PM me if you like.

JBTH

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE