the washing up???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
sooty pans and washing up. hi guys when ive been out and about i always end up with sooty pans etc so before i pack them i end up wahing them till they are soot free. so. who takes their stuff home sooted up.and if you dont does anyone know a way of getting soot off without having to go to the lengths of taking the washing up bowl lol any help guys?

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I'll have to ask SHMBO, by the time I have had a bath on getting back from camp all my stuff is washed and ready. :rolleyes:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
same here, bung in a stuff sack and only do the insides. I generally try to only use pouch meals when im out and that saves me washing anything apart from my plate and cup

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wipe the bottom on a bit of moss or grass and that's about it, eventually you get a crusty layer which is hard to get off and doesn't muck up everything else.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Why bother, just clean the insides and pop in a plastic bag ready for the next trip. Cleaning soot off pans is borderline OCD.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I'll have to ask SHMBO, by the time I have had a bath on getting back from camp all my stuff is washed and ready. :rolleyes:

i believe that's what we refer to as a "keeper" there my friend, well done that man!

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
...eventually you get a crusty layer which is hard to get off and doesn't muck up everything else.

That's true; you don't need to scrub it back to shiny every time, but you will always get a bit of 'surface sooting', as it were, which wipes off easily enough.

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
cheers guys i love the smell of woodsmoke but it tends to find its way in to everything i also know that a blackened layer is good for heat transfer when cooking the coating stuff with washing up liquid works really well on steel not so good with aluminium inho. and the gras / moss one from shewie works so well when you use hexamine going to try the tea bag one next time cheers guys...

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I wash the worst off. Bit of bacon fat and ashes works a treat! (Despite that I'll still bring some washing-up liquid along.......)

Just an addition to the "just wipe it off and stuff it in a plastic bag" advice...I have nesting billies and try to put each one in a thin plastic bag, then "nest" them together, so that the soot from the outside of one isn't transfered to the inside of another.
Gets a bit fiddly and messy though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE