The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
I have seen many threads to identify different fungi, so instead of people having to start a new thread - I thought that starting a thread that everybody can ask for fungi ID in one singular thread would encourage more people to ask about different fungi when they may not wan't to start a new thread, and would work as a definitive resource for quick lookup of previous identifications on the forum.

So;
Please ask all mushroom ID questions here for more convenience.

Last edited:
Reactions: fastcaps

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I have seen many threads to identify different fungi, so instead of people having to start a new thread - I thought that starting a thread that everybody can ask for fungi ID in one singular thread would encourage more people to ask about different fungi when they may not wan't to start a new thread and would work as a definitive resource for quick lookup of previous identifications on the forum.

So;
Please ask all mushroom ID questions here for more convenience.

Excellent idea, made it a sticky for the time being. goodjob

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46561

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46751

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47229

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48367

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Grand idea.

Don't mind if I start do you?
I tend to take loads of pictures and intend on working out what they are later, sometimes I forget to do the last bit.
Photos taken in sept 06

DSC00200-1.jpg
DSC00202-1.jpg

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Nice one Ahjno!
Demographic, not sure about the first one but the second looks like a Bay Bolete, Boletus badius.!? Think thats the one that stains greenish fairly easily on bruising. If it is its edible.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Not totally sure about the first one, looking at the pictures, it may possibly be the little wheel fungus, but thats just a guess from memory..if i get time i will check it out in one of my many fungi books..

Colin

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Nice one Ahjno!
Demographic, not sure about the first one but the second looks like a Bay Bolete, Boletus badius.!? Think thats the one that stains greenish fairly easily on bruising. If it is its edible.

Well I would have said that it did stain greenish anyway. good stuff.

Not totally sure about the first one, looking at the pictures, it may possibly be the little wheel fungus, but thats just a guess from memory..if i get time i will check it out in one of my many fungi books..

Colin
Ahh, good info.
I'll have a look through my own mushroom book as soon as I find the damn thing, I know its kicking about somewhere.

Anymore for anymore?

Sulphur Tuft? That's what I thought these were anyway. What say you lot?
I usually put my big mitt into the picture to give scale but didn't this time, they wouldn't have been much more than about an inch across the top though is memory serves me right, again taken in sept 06 as can be seen on the photo date.

DSC00189-1.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

Reactions: Lyracroft

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Well I would have said that it did stain greenish anyway. good stuff.

Ahh, good info.
I'll have a look through my own mushroom book as soon as I find the damn thing, I know its kicking about somewhere.

Anymore for anymore?

Sulphur Tuft? That's what I thought these were anyway. What say you lot?
I usually put my big mitt into the picture to give scale but didn't this time, they wouldn't have been much more than about an inch across the top though is memory serves me right, again taken in sept 06 as can be seen on the photo date.

DSC00189-1.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

Hypholoma fasciculare
Sulphur Tuft Sept is the right time to see the fruiting bodies emerge.

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Looks like Porphyrellus porphyrosporus

Hey SOAR, yeah it does look like Porphyrellus porphyrosporus. Still think its a bay bolete though but just shows how difficult and sometimes dodgy mushroom id can be. RE bay bolete, I got the latin name wrong above, it appears to be Xerocomus badius.

Happy Christmas All!

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hey Rik, i was once told by a mushroom expert (mycoligist - not sure if that is how its spelt) a good phrase to remember

SHE SAID - YOU CAN EAT ALL MUSHROOMS AND FUNGI, BUT SOME OF THEM ONLY ONCE! :lmao:

I have often walked through the woods with about 3 mushroom guides in my bag and came across mushrooms that i would have bet my house on that they were the ones in the book, and you know what i still havent ever eaten any, better to be safe than sorry.

Even on my RM Journeyman course they taught us which mushies to eat and what to avoid, but still before we ate any we had to check in with the mushroom lady, and i swear that there where times where we handed her 20 mushrooms that looked the same as each other, she would take a quick look sort them into piles and tell us half of them eadible half deadly, after that, i learned to give them a miss unless 100000000% sure of identification, so good advice RIK..

Colin :christmas1:

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Hello again all. I should have probably said it earlier but forgot to. Never trust anybodys identification, especially mine. I am as close to a novice as it gets and although I enjoy identifying fungi, or at least trying to, I would never trust myself and have never eaten any, apart from those found on a fungal foray in October and we had at least 2 mycologists there! Somebody said it here very well, can't remember who so no citation, sorry!

If I say a mushroom is poisonous then it is poisonous.
If I say a mushroom is edible, then it's also poisonous!

Last edited:

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
First thought was chanterelle but it's not. They look like proper gills and they dont run down the stem.
Maybe a russula of lactarius?
What ye think?
Are they gills?
Any milky substance from the gills demographic?

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Hey SOAR,

They do look similar alright.

They both seem to have an inrolled cap rim which the photo above doesn't have. Also on the cap margin there are those little lines. "Cap margin striate" is how most books seem to call it which wouldn't fit with those two clitocybes?

Trying to narrow this one down so what ye think?

Is the cap funnel-shaped or bowl-shaped?

Cap margin grooved(striate)?

Are the gills adnate or decurrent? Or something else? Really can't decide! Gills look decurrent but dont seem to run down stem so may look decurrent due to cap shape. I'm leaning towards adnate. Here is a not terribly helpful link.
"http://www.mushroomthejournal.com/greatlakesdata/Terms/adnat500.html#adnat500"

Gills look white-ish?

Looking around and between the gills, does anyone else see what could be clumps of white spores?

Later!

Last edited:

xylaria

swamp yellow russula
brick caps hypholoma sublateritium
xerocomus badiorufus [hymenopore layer dercurrent not adnate]
panaeolus campanulatus [I am not good on LBMs i am bit confused by the frill and the nipple]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE