The Ultimate Bushcraft Shirt? Can we do it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

donkeyporge

Dec 9, 2003
Wigan
Just a suggestion :) Can we, between us all design the 'Perfect Bushcraft Shirt'
We have enough members with enough experience in all fields to put together a summary of what we would like in an item of clothing to get it made....(that is what consumarism is about) We definatley have the experience and the contacts between us to get somthing like this done and I have seen enough suggestions in the short time I have been here to think that we could even revolutionise 'Kit' in the way it has been designed and used in the past, to the way we 'need' it now.
In summary we have so many items of kit........let's design and make at least one piece of kit suited to our needs...I vote a shirt.....suggestions please? :-x

donkeyporge

Dec 9, 2003
Wigan
By the way I currently have an SAS Smock from Stringtown; http://www.stringtownsupplies.co.uk/pd-1511976726.htm?defaultVariants=search0_EQ_L_AND_search1_EQ_Black_AND_{EOL}&categoryId=85
Whilst this is more than adequate I long for a base layer shirt to complement it.
These are my suggestions:
Thermal properties to act on its own with at least one 'Dump Pocket' along the front, waterproof when worn alone without the jacket and a thin layer hood.
One more thing...NOT IN CHECK PATTERN! I hate it :oops: .
I'm afraid that's all I can put forward. plenty of other members can put forward their ideas PLEASE. :)

donkeyporge

Dec 9, 2003
Wigan
Kath said:
Pockets. Lots of pockets! :-D

I think one "Kangaroo" type pocket along the front, behind it two hand pockets (thermal) with at least one outside chest pocket and both arms having a pocket each? NO VELCRO..i have found it too noisy! especially when your arm gets inadvertantly stuck to your waist.
On the inside a Map pocket to the left and an emergency 'possibles' one to the right with two secret pockets taking up the rear inside seat of the shirt as in the jacket above.
Anyone :?:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Just a suggestion Can we, between us all design the 'Perfect Bushcraft Shirt'
I like the idea...... but..... everyone will have their own opion on what they want in a bushshirt and we couldn't include everything. Some people want loads of pockets.... which means more seam to leak .... so other will want hardly if any pockets with minimal seams. The problem with things designed by comittee is they tend to end up pretty naff.

Just my thoughts.
:)
Ed

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Great idea - maybe we could design a modular torso-covering system! I'm sort of serious, cos the UKs climate throws out all sorts of challenges to being outdoors, so a single garment couldn't hope to cope with it all.

However a combination of garments that could be easily and reliably combined to suit the conditions would be excellent.

Ed said:
The problem with things designed by comittee is they tend to end up pretty naff.

We'll call it a working party then :eek:): :nana: My experience is that the quality of the output of a group of people working together is directly related to the knowledge, experience, and creativity of the group members - and there's plenty of those qualities around here!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Where do we start then,
Colour: Green or Brown, maybe black, DPM is best for blending in, which is where that orrible check comes from. So pattern is good
Material - wool or cotton based so it doesn't melt from fire sparks. Fabric needs to be windproof IMO, and waterproof to an extent, or stay warm when wet. Not itchy to skin or lined (lined would help windproofing)
My only spec pocket wise is one, close to skin, for putting tinder in to dry.

I think this is a good idea, but as Ed says, you cant please all the people.... but lets give it a go and see what we can come up with. Its an interesting thread if nothing else. :wink:
No squabbling or throwing your toy out of the pram now folks :-D
Cheers
Rich

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Maybe what needs doing to make the shirt appeal to more folks is to break it down into the core shirt (material, style and so on) and accessories (D-loops, pockets and so on).

I like the idea of lined wool and colors so far ...
Pockets - yep, I like pockets and that's why I like combat shirts. If this could have good, deep, pleated pockets with fold-over tops that button down (preferably with slotted buttons :-D ) then count me in!!!!!

J

JeremyH

We dream of the perfect combination - however surely it depends on climate, body mass, jobs to be undertaken, mental approach, and the necessity to blend in.

My personal combination for the weather here in the Hebrides is:
Swanndri Ranger shirt - would prefer it with butttons than zip.

or Buffalo Special Six shirt

Topped off with:

Ventile Smock - BisonBushcraft Spring/Summer

Islay Woolen Mill Stalkers Coat Autumn/Winter

These combinations have plenty - if not too many pockets.

Colours: I prefer greens and browns and NOT DPM - no offence but having worked as a ranger in several countries I have felt that being dressed militarily can cause possible diversions that could lead to misunderstandings!

Good luck with your search!
:-D
jeremyh

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yeh I agree Jeremy, Too many pockets and I can't find a damn thing! I think keep it simple and leave the pockets for a Jacket me self.
And I don't want DPM either, or the checks, but a pattern that helps to break up a bold slab of colour is an advantage.
Cheers
Rich

donkeyporge

Dec 9, 2003
Wigan
would it be possible to completely waterproof one pocket for tinder?
D rings are a good idea for attaching kit/cord/compass

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Great Pebble said:
Do me an S.95 shirt in green, maybe one in black as well.
I'd be quite happy.
SASS will do their combat shirt in any color you want if you ask them for it.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Great Pebble said:
And also charge for it I don't doubt... I'm tight.
Well, they will charge you for the shirt :-D - but no extra to have it in a different color.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE