The TiPi's nearly finished! It's up! (PICS)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
My friend has made the canvas cover and I've done all the wooden pins, pegs, poles, bags, ropes and accessories. I put her up yesterday on my own and it was the first time I'v ever done one so I was quiet pleased with myself.
Here's the pictures:

P2270002.jpg

P3020030.jpg

P3020033.jpg

P3020036.jpg

All I have left to do it sand the poles some more, let them dry and then oil them. I'm also going to make a low 70cm liner for the inside to make it more cosy. I'm thinking about making a rain catcher as well but I'm not sure if it's needed. We'll see.
I'm going to make myself a cooking tripod to hold a suspended fire dish for the inside. That was I won't burn the grass when I pitch for just a few days.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Hi Matt,

That looks really, really good. What are the dimensions of your tipi?

You definitely need a liner if you want to have a fire in the tipi. The liner helps the fire draw properly. Your 70cm height seems low though but may be right for a smaller tipi.

Have you considered an ozan rather than a rain-catcher?

Cheers!

Huon

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
Hi Matt,

That looks really, really good. What are the dimensions of your tipi?

Have you considered an ozan rather than a rain-catcher?

It's just under 5meters from door to the back. It's a small one. Perfect for me and the girlfriend for some glamorous camping and extended trips away. Being small it'll be best suited for a small liner I think.
I've never seen an ozan, I just Googled it. They look really cosy. Next time I set this Tipi up I'll have a good think and visualisation. Initially it does seem like a better idea but perhaps it will encroach into the space a bit to much. Would one make it above head height traditionally? Maybe I'd make a low one at the back over the sleeping area that's just high enough to sit under but not stand. Super cosy then!

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
is that flecktarn canvas around the base? would love to get hold of some of that, tipi looks amazing wish i had half the skill needed for sewing something that big and awkward

matt

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Hi Matt,

Normally the open front of the ozan would be head height or higher but the back goes over the liner so that determines the height at the front too.

Cheers!

Huon

It's just under 5meters from door to the back. It's a small one. Perfect for me and the girlfriend for some glamorous camping and extended trips away. Being small it'll be best suited for a small liner I think.
I've never seen an ozan, I just Googled it. They look really cosy. Next time I set this Tipi up I'll have a good think and visualisation. Initially it does seem like a better idea but perhaps it will encroach into the space a bit to much. Would one make it above head height traditionally? Maybe I'd make a low one at the back over the sleeping area that's just high enough to sit under but not stand. Super cosy then!

bearbait

Very nice looking job on the tipi. You must be well pleased.

You may already have a copy of The Indian Tipi: Its History, Construction and Use by Reginald Laubin. It's a great book and, amongst many other things, discusses Ozans. An Ozan helps with the updraft to get your tipi fire smoke out through the smoke flaps, as well as giving you a snugger sleeping quarters. If you've not seen the book before you may be able to get a copy from your library. Or put it on your birthday list!

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
Very impressive!
Where did you source the poles?

From a local farm. There is a pine forest that is SERIOUSLY neglected and overgrown. It is dark and damp in there. Perfect really because that means any new growth had grown very tall and straight trying to get to the light and ultimately wouldn't really make it anyway - destined to die early. There was a lot of dead standing (but mostly rotten) I only found four poles that were decent and dead, the rest I cut alive, of semi alive.
There's a public footpath next to the forest - a friend had spotted the trees whilst on a walk. I just knocked on the door of the farm and asked. The owner said "no problem, just help yourself."

It's great because a full set of Tipi poles (ready stripped) can cost as much as £300 - It's a lot of work preparing the poles though, that's where the value is really.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If it is for short term stays, you could try to sleep radially between the poles, or use a bivi bag. The rain normally only drips down the poles, what comes through the vent is generally drizzle and should fall in a puddle between the door and fire. A tall enough liner can be snuggled under in wet weather and that will keep you pretty dry. The only other important bit is making sure the fire draws through the vent A tipi is a chiminy and it will wreck a good pair lungs very quickly if not set up right.

Your tipi is beautiful. They are the most amazing spaces.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE