The start of a miserable sick day...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Rant time!
So, the last few days, I've been ill with some monster cold from hell (something SWMBO refers to as Man Flu :rolleyes: ). To make matters worse, yesterday I wake up with a swollen eyelid! I'm not sure if the damn thing is putting pressure on my eye or leaking eye gunk that's hard to see through or what, but focusing on things seems to be taking a while longer thn it should. And, just because that wasn't enough, this morning I have the same swollen eye but a bit bigger, the same cold but it seems to be trying to turn into a chest infection, and I can't move my neck for feeling like someone's beating it with a chrome-plated steel pipe. Why so specific? Because a lead pipe would be a dull pain - this one's very sharp!

So, here I sit, hacking and coughing away (I tried lying in bed - the only place where my neck is even kinda comfy - but I can't breathe lying in bed), squinting at the monitor through a pool of eye gunk, trying to figure out how I am going to convince my manager that I'm not partying it up (despite of this being the only sick day I've taken from this job in the last 1 1/2 years, and in spite of the overtime I do without complaint...) or sleeping off a hangover (and I don't drink, either). :(

Rant over! I need a holiday!

Pete

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
....or a doctor.
icon12.gif

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I can sympathise!

My first job I only ever had one day off, with proper flu'. And of course it was at the end of two weeks that I had been on holiday, but had spent the whole time in bed being ill.
And my boss would not believe that I wasn't just trying to extend my holidays.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i've just FINALLY got rid of a chesty cough i've had from my last bout of illness. one of those that leaves you aching all over, sweating and hallucinating etc.

been feeling a little ill last couple of days, today i'm aching all over, sick to my stomach and a pounding headache i really don't need this as i've just got over a nasty bug.
i know how you feel!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I can sympathise!

My first job I only ever had one day off, with proper flu'. And of course it was at the end of two weeks that I had been on holiday, but had spent the whole time in bed being ill.
And my boss would not believe that I wasn't just trying to extend my holidays.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
It's nuts the hoops we have to jump through when sick :rolleyes: I've taken pictures of my golfball eyelid (slight exaggeration) just in case!

i've just FINALLY got rid of a chesty cough i've had from my last bout of illness. one of those that leaves you aching all over, sweating and hallucinating etc.

been feeling a little ill last couple of days, today i'm aching all over, sick to my stomach and a pounding headache i really don't need this as i've just got over a nasty bug.
i know how you feel!
Ahh I forgot to mention the headache! Luckily I don't have the sweats, hallucinations or sickness - yet at least! Hopefully it won't come to that, I can't afford to be off work in the christmas period! Hope you feel better soon too!

Sorry to hear you're not well, I'm off with a busted leg, but at least it doesn't hurt.
Take paracetamol and plenty of hot drinks, whilst watching RM on iPlayer so you can plan some future adventures!
Yep, been drinking my tea - relieves the cough for a little while at least! SWMBO says she'll bring me back some chocolate and medication :p Might need to get iPlayer - didn't know you could get Mears on it!

go to a doc!
....or a doctor.
icon12.gif
Pah, doctors are for the WEAK :p Nah, I just don't really go for them - I always seem to alternate between two doctors, one who just loves to hear himself talk (can't even get off a list of symptoms, and yet he's told me that he has a tshirt with helicobacter pylori on it) and one who's always really nice, and has been my doc for years, knows me really well, just doesn't do anything!

Thanks for the kind words y'all :)
Pete

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Pete,

The swollen eyelid sounds like a blocked/infected tear duct.

Take a washcloth and soak it in extremely warm water and then put the cloth on your eyelid. Tie it in place if need be and you're sitting up and don't want to hold it there.

The moist heat should clear the blockage inside of a few hours -- more fluid will come out -- and if not repeat.

Sing pirate songs while the eye is covered.

Feel better, man.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Cheers bud! Technology these days eh? :p

Ask your boss around, then he'll catch it off you and will know what it was like next week when he gets ill.
Now that's an appealing idea!

Pete,

The swollen eyelid sounds like a blocked/infected tear duct.

Take a washcloth and soak it in extremely warm water and then put the cloth on your eyelid. Tie it in place if need be and you're sitting up and don't want to hold it there.

The moist heat should clear the blockage inside of a few hours -- more fluid will come out -- and if not repeat.

Sing pirate songs while the eye is covered.

Feel better, man.
Thanks bud! That was my first thought too, and I've been doing it the last couple days periodically but it doesn't seem to do much - makes me feel a bit better for a while, but no real size reduction or any gunk coming out of my eye. Odd stuff...

Pete

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
What he said...

Have you had chicken pox at any time in your life? Are there any vessicles (look a little like burn blisters) on your forehead leading down to your eye? Feel like you have blocked sinuses? Post nasal drip? (back of your nose into your throat)

I had a case of shingles a few years back - which is basically a recurrence of or the re-activation of the chicken pox virus - it can damage your optic nerve so do get the doc out, just to be on the safe side.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I can't believe a man has just made a post to get sympathy for his MAN FLU!!!
Actually yes, I can believe it. men!

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
There's some cr*p stuff going around at the moment.
Both me and her have just come back off holiday, both projecitling from both ends. SWMBO has had migranes that put her in bed (very, very unusual) and I've had a gout and Arthritis flair up (which normaly happens May time).
As they sat, scientists kill one germ and nature fights back making two more.
Seriously though, get to the docs. If your dizzy etc tell them they need to come out as not safe to drive, bike, etc. Make them earn their £100K plus saleries

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco

Hehe, you're absolutely right!

Every man I know, including me, is a complete baby about being sick.

Women tend to have much more capacity for dealing with illness and pain than men. Evolution selected for it...

But allow us our quirks and let us whine while sick. On occasion we can be handy to have around :)

Pete's my buddy so I want him to get well.

And besides, we men bond over complaining about sickness. Leave us to our fun, woman!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
No, call a doctor out, that's what you pay your NI contributions for and they'll probably chase you from the surgery with burning torches, if you manage to get there, anyway:nutkick:

Hope you feel better soon but watch the neck pain thing, don't much like the sound of that:(

atb

R.B.
Tbh the neck pains really just an "icing on the cake" situation - not too rare for me, just a PITA when I'm already sick! Cheers bud!

What he said...

Have you had chicken pox at any time in your life? Are there any vessicles (look a little like burn blisters) on your forehead leading down to your eye? Feel like you have blocked sinuses? Post nasal drip? (back of your nose into your throat)

I had a case of shingles a few years back - which is basically a recurrence of or the re-activation of the chicken pox virus - it can damage your optic nerve so do get the doc out, just to be on the safe side.
I have indeed had chicken pox, and things don't really seem to match shingles. If I get the blisters I'll quite possibly think different though!

Thank you for your concern :p

There's some cr*p stuff going around at the moment.
Both me and her have just come back off holiday, both projecitling from both ends. SWMBO has had migranes that put her in bed (very, very unusual) and I've had a gout and Arthritis flair up (which normaly happens May time).
As they sat, scientists kill one germ and nature fights back making two more.
Seriously though, get to the docs. If your dizzy etc tell them they need to come out as not safe to drive, bike, etc. Make them earn their £100K plus saleries
That sounds hellish :( I've been hearing a lot from different people about things going around atm and none of them seem to be the same! Nasty stuff, at any rate.

A minor update; Well, my sinuses are a bit better, my eye's a little smaller (my eyelid's swelling less, but my cheek's swollen a little now) but my throat/chest is ten times worse. Hacking and coughing plenty, with nothing coming up! Just the walk to my house from the bus stop (~150yds) had be totally out of breath earlier, it feels less like a cold and more like my windpipe constricting - getting a lungful is pretty difficult, though I'm glad to say that doesn't seem to be getting worse, just maintaining its level of rubbishness. If the breathing does get much worse, I think I'll be terming it an emergency.

Unfortunately, SWMBO seems to have it too - she was at the hospital this morning (she lives a few minutes away from her hospital, it's where her GP is too...) after just feeling too rubbish to go to uni and apparantly the only reason they're not calling it swine flu is the lack of body aches - if she gets them, she's to return. She has asthma quite bad so I'm more worried about her atm :(

Thanks for the concern y'all
Pete

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Hehe, you're absolutely right!

Every man I know, including me, is a complete baby about being sick.

Women tend to have much more capacity for dealing with illness and pain than men. Evolution selected for it...

But allow us our quirks and let us whine while sick. On occasion we can be handy to have around :)

Pete's my buddy so I want him to get well.

And besides, we men bond over complaining about sickness. Leave us to our fun, woman!

Can't fault a word of it, well said fella :p
Pete

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I would strongly advise you contact a doctor if you have swelling of the eyelid and cheek.

The reason is that it could be a symptom of skin infection around the eye (peri-orbital cellulitis) which can have serious complications.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Draven listen to the man above me, i would personnely have made a visit to the doc's just for having restricted breathing,which sound 's like a chest infection which can go on to worse things.As for shingles i dont think you need(could be wrong) to have blisters to have it my mother in laws best friend had it in her 50's and it showed symptom's of half her face swelling up and going black and blue, not wanting to put a downer on it but she died not long after. Either way if its Flu or something else you sound in a bad way and id go and get checked over.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE