The Sound Of Silence

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I did something today I've not done for ages - just go out to the woods, have a brew up, and just sit there and take it all in.
Seriously. Been ages.
Oh yeah, I've been out. But I've been doing other things - photography, a walk, a bike ride, wildlife spotting. That kind of thing.

But today I went to some local woods (really nice mix of deciduous and coniferous), fired up the stove, had a brew up (and a sausage and mushroom roll) and just sat there at listened.

And that's the point of this thread.

What, for you, is the sound of bushcraft?

Now, you see, if you'd asked me this before today I probably would have said either the crackling of the fire or maybe the wind in the trees. And I reckon they will be popular responses.

Though sitting there today, I realised what the sound of bushcraft was for me. It's the sound of the billy can lid rattling as you check the water.
I missed that sound. I heard it again today, for the first time in ages, and I realised that was the sound, for me, that summed it up.

So that's my question for you - what is your sound that sums up bushcraft/camping/being outside. Whatever you want to call it. What's your sound?

32926055331_50b42dcd0b_z.jpg

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
The birdsong after you've gone quiet and still for 10 minutes , the wind in the trees and the crackling of the fire are all sounds I identify with a nice Bushwhack day.

But the one sound that makes it for me is the sound of the Tawny owl at night fall ...(or any owl actually!)

That one only happens when I'm out there for the night, and that alone makes it all worth it for me.

I'd love to add, the sound of my crook knife cutting through a spoon blank or a lump of green wood.
That particular sound sums bushcraft for me , but then again I do those at home too , so it's not exclusive to the bush
...)

👍

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I regularly head into the woods near me for a brew up and chill out and nothing more, sometimes only for an hour or two, love it!
So for me it's the sound of pouring water into my crusader cup and the sound of the cup rattling and scraping on my hexi stove....

And also the smell of the hexi blocks burning...the smell of bushcraft for me!

Thanks,

Allan

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
For me it's the smell of bracken and trees. Preferably pine but any will do really.
Being able to get shelter in pine trees out of the wind and making use of dry/soft ground around them makes it for me.
Never got around to having a night out under pine but just thinking about it makes me smile. I can smell it just thinking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LadySmyth

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2017
UK
For me, it's birdsong and noticing other rustlings. ✌

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

middlewolf

Feb 12, 2017
Portland, OR
I'd like to contribute but you guys have seemed to cover it pretty good from my point of view. Thanks for the reminder of what does get forgotten at times.

Mack13

Jul 15, 2013
Wiltshire
I often head to the woods for days out, either with dogs or just with my girlfriend, so for me the 'sound of bushcraft' is more associated with night time. I think the best sound is simply the sharp snap of a twig as dusk sets in (means the local deer are close by) or the hoot of an owl above.
I'd like to add a 'feeling' of bushcraft for me. The feeling of gently rocking in my hammock at night, which is weird considering I have suffered with motion problems since a severe bout of Labyrinthritis a few years back. It might be the surroundings too which make it the rocking pleasant..

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I regularly head into the woods near me for a brew up and chill out and nothing more, sometimes only for an hour or two, love it!
So for me it's the sound of pouring water into my crusader cup and the sound of the cup rattling and scraping on my hexi stove....

And also the smell of the hexi blocks burning...the smell of bushcraft for me!

Thanks,

Allan

have to copy this one because this is what I daydreaming of while reading all the first comments.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Very relaxing Steve ... 👍

The end there looked a bit of a challenge, narrow , against the current , shallow as ducks breast.
Just curious , did you have to get out and walk it in the end?

Either way , beautiful scenery and very quiet . My idea of fun👍

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
lying in the long grass listening to skylarks on a lazy summers day.

You just took me all the way back to being 7 or 8! We lived in a very similar location to Billy Casper in the film "Kes". 50 yds from our house you were straight into huge rolling fields that seemed to go on forever and every summer they were filled with skylarks. I would often take off into the fields and be gone all day, sometimes with a few other kids, sometimes solo. It's all gone now, covered with a couple of thousand houses.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I don't get to listen to silence. I've had severe tinnitus for years so the best I can hope for is whistling and the thump of my pulse.

i do enjoy the sound of a strong wind or a lively sea though

I too have tinnitus these days. It ranges from a constant high pitched tone to a low and steady hissing sound, with a lot of variation in between. Oddly, I can actually change the note but I've no idea how I do it.

When I'm paddling it is barely noticeable, in fact it pretty much disappears. Whether it's due to distraction or being cancelled out by the ambient noise around me or some other reason I've no idea but pleasant nonetheless.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE