The scariest plant in the world, Datura aka (jimson weed)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
if you only knew...
MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:rolleyes: Define "evil deeds" :D as a general guideline we don't set out to deliberately harm another person.

I think bushwacker bob's point is well made; there are a lot of potentially harmful plants out there, but it's obviously not beyond mortal wit to deal with them :)

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a really good point Forestwalker :approve: Poisons, even ones that don't kill us, can leave kidneys and liver severely compromised.

A topical thread maybe ? Poisons, their actions and how to deal with them.

cheers,
M

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
I see one of your sources is the Daily Mail.

enough said.
In todays Mail on Sunday (I know not all that is in black and white can believed) there is an article by Richard Hoskins who is just about to release a book titled The Boy in the River. It tells of tragic story of the little African boy the police called Adam, found decapitated, and limbless in the River Thames in 2001. Richard's involvement in the case was of his expert knowledge of African religions and rituals. In the boys intestinal tract there was traces of Physostigma, the Calabar bean. It is deadly but in small doses it paralyse the victim, they would be fully aware of what is going on but would not be able to react or even scream. They believe that poor Adam was smuggled into the country solely for the purpose of this ritual slaughter. He was fed this bean and then killed.
If this bean is being brought into the U.K. then I'm pretty sure Devils breath is here as well

Cpt-Jack

Aug 1, 2011
Essex
what british seeds have the same effect? just a simple sniff of the processed drug is enough for complete control of yourself for 12 hours.

Deadly Nightshade, Mandrake and Henbane are all in the same family as Datura, they all contain high levels of scopolamine and will produce more or less exactly the same deliriant effects if ingested.

There are also a couple of types of mushroom too that cause similar dissociative mindstates, Amanita muscaria is probably the most well known.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I think that is all a bit OTT. As far as I am concerned giant hogweed is far scarier, you don't want to go anywhere near that.

forestwalker

I think that is all a bit OTT. As far as I am concerned giant hogweed is far scarier, you don't want to go anywhere near that.
Yes, those a bit of a concern. But fungi worries me as well: I am far less an expert on them than on plants, and the wrong one could set one up for dialysis or a transplant, with all the restrictions that that entails.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not as good as a distillate of said zymologically affected barley though :)

Now ergot on barley (or more commonly rye) can give a nasty burning sensation!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now ergot on barley (or more commonly rye) can give a nasty burning sensation!

I've had medically administered ergotamine...........in one short phrase..."NEVER AGAIN!!" absolutely and utterly hellish :(
Imagine a migraine x10 and then make it a whole body migraine. No wonder it could incapacitate entire towns and armies.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Your friend is totally off his/her rocker even considering messing around with that stuff :(
Loads of ways to reach any kind of alternative consciousness, but that one's just down right stupid. In it's purified and carefully dosed form it's used post childbirth and as a migraine remedy........despite the fact that the rebound headache is a doozy :rolleyes:
The contra indications include gangrene :rolleyes: Very weird Russian roulette taking it tbh.

Sorry Tengu, no offence intended, we all have friends like that. Usually we tolerate our friend's foibles and eccentricities knowing they tolerate ours too :D

atb,
M

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Look, in order for a plant to be scary its got to be able to chase people about and kill them Triffid stylie.
Till then its just a poisonous plant that also gets people off their face.

Admittedly it doesn't sound like the kind of thing I want for breakfast or anything but I can't see it chasing me round the room so I reckon I'll be OK just near one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE