The role of grandmothers in hunter gatherer societies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Scientists have been interested in the question of why women live for decades past menopause (and typically far outlive men) when their use in terms of furthering their genetic legacy is putatively over.

Now some scientists have zeroed in on the question and can only theorize that grandmothers providing for their grandchildren in ancient societies conferred a huge advantage for their survival.

Here's a post about it:

http://anthropology.net/2009/10/29/...proceedings-of-the-royal-society-b/#more-2597

It certainly makes intuitive sense, and it appears obvious on its face, but I think this work may be a key development in understanding more about the composition of ancient cultures. It suggests that children were raised primarily by their own family units (as opposed to the whole tribe) for instance.

Plus, it also suggests an even larger role for women in the tribal structures. Grandmothers who could take a portion of the child rearing role would free time for the mothers to do other things in the tribes.

As I noted in my post about the sub-arctic survival thread, it has been long understood that groups of women have an inherent advantage in hunter gatherer societies vs. groups of men.

I think, as we dig deeper, we'll discover that women were the backbone and leaders of nearly all successful hunter gatherer cultures.

The Iroquois nation in North America had the longest running representative democracy in the world by the time of contact with Europeans (at least 300 years, some say 500 years.) No one had succeeded like the Iroquois. Interestingly, the women owned all the property in Iroquois culture, they could veto decisions to go to war and women typically elected tribal chiefs (who were men).

Anyhow, give the grandmother piece a read, it's quite interesting.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"Grandmothers who could take a portion of the child rearing role would free time for the mothers to do other things in the tribes."

Still happens in extended families, my wife (and I) look after our 20 month old grandson while my daughter works part time before going back to finish her Degree next year and great fun it is too :)

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
"Grandmothers who could take a portion of the child rearing role would free time for the mothers to do other things in the tribes."

Still happens in extended families, my wife (and I) look after our 20 grandson while my daughter works part time before going back to finish her Degree next year and great fun it is too :)

Quite right!

I suspect that if we tracked the outcomes of families with active grandparents in child rearing, we'd find them generally more successful than than families whose grandparents aren't active due to distance or death etc.

Even a 10% greater success rate would be huge over a few dozen generations.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I do think that the study, while fine as a desk based bit of research, is missing something. The interaction in a normal society of grandmothers and grand daughters and sons.
Once grandsons realise that they are *boys*, the hang out with boys, youths and adult males.
Girls are generally kept closer to the matriarchy, they learn female 'crafts' early. Even their wanderings are with other females, and mention has already been made of their foraging habits.
The gender bias is something like an extra two males to every hundred females, believed to be so because males take more risks and more of them (comparatively speaking) don't survive.

It'd be interesting to see how the study is peer reviewed.

Cheers,
Toddy

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
That's a very perceptive and interesting observation Toddy. I must say that, although the article was very interesting and I'm grateful to the OP, it seemed less of an attempt to validate the importance of Grandmothers and more of an opportunity to bash men.

I don't see much evidence to support the PC academic assumption that older males were "useless". I'd say they'd be repositories of invaluable knowledge. Old "primitives" stay young for a long time anyway, just look at Ishi, or even better Nana.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Read the article, it was really really good:rolleyes:

Anyway I'm off down the shed to polish a stove and I've told my lad to stop hanging out with girls and only mix with boys and men;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah Rik, I thought your lad was breeding age.........in the past his Mum would have had him all married off by now :D Instead he's got to scout out his own, and well, that takes time, and a lot of looking, just to be sure, y'know ;)

cheers,
Toddy

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Interesting but a big leap to explain social behavior merely by genetic inheritance.

And what is the difference between societies where a male marries into his wife's clan/family or where the woman marries in?

But from a personal perspective I know what granny's role is - to teach me how to forage and process food

DSCN3696.jpg

and grandad's is to teach me to hunt and make/ use edged tools

DSCN3737.jpg

:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE