the Ridgeway - a broken man

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Just back from doing the Ridgeway (Overton to Streatley).

After a really hectic term at school I felt I needed some solitude and quiet to decompress and get the kids ot of my hair.

however due to a schools out for summer hangover I left packing till first thing in the morning - bad idea.

I had already decided to go self sufficient and rough it. So tarp (first time), all my food, clothing - basically everything except water. All packed into an untried rucksack. Of course, in my bleary haste I packed the kitchen sink, seriously.

So about 1/2 mile into my walk (and my lift long gone) I realise what a catastrophic walk this is going to be. My pick up is in 42 miles and 4 days. I decide to just hunker down and test myself - add some kind of spiritual flagellation to the solitude.

by day 2 I decide to just hack it through the pain barrier and make up enough ground to turn it into a 3 dayer - I feel I have now got all the solitude I really need.

Ironically a tubby git like me has by now lost appetite (on reflection I think I bought enough food to last 8 days). All I really wanted was my comfort food (bread, cheese and peanut butter) and a cocoa in the evenings.

Water became my primary concern - particularly how to get it without doing a 3 mile round trip off the path to buy it. The kindness of strangers is a wonderful thing indeed.

the morning of the last day saw me rubbing cream into my shoulders to sooth the pain from the, frankly quite crap, shoulder straps and strapping, taping and moleskinning up my battered feet.

One final heroic blast and I reach Strealy almost 30 hours ahead of schedule (sod solitude, I want a sofa).

I call SWMBO, who after all has claimed she is missing me, but she can't pick me up as she is clothes shopping with a friend!!!!! Why don't I make my way home by public transport!!! Where is the love, where is the humanity.

Luckily saved by a mate.

Some morals:

- don't use an untested rucksack, it almost sawed through my shoulders;

- For heaven's sake leave all the food and cooking equip at home;

- Did I really need 4 changes of clothing?????

- pack the week before and do a day trial with it at full weight, remember how incompetent you can be with a hangover.

However, despite being a battered wreck I do feel quite proud (although somewhat foolishly). I can still just hunker down and get on with a really arduous task.

Bugger is, now I have to go and do it again so I can revel in all the wonderful scenery which I completely failed to appreciate this time - hey ho.

Alex

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
lol

Pack the night before. Everytime I do this, I pick up the pack and put it on my shoulders. Then take it off, and remove many of the 'essentials' that are suddenly unessential.

Good one for finishing the walk.

johnnyneuro

Jan 5, 2007
Cambridge
Having done a few linear, multi-day walks I would recommend caching food and fuel along the route.

Use a map to find suitable locations and then on the way to the start in the car, stop-off to hide small packages of consumable provisions. Make sure the cache is fox-proof though.

Easy way to reduce weight.

resnikov

Having done a few linear, multi-day walks I would recommend caching food and fuel along the route.

Use a map to find suitable locations and then on the way to the start in the car, stop-off to hide small packages of consumable provisions. Make sure the cache is fox-proof though.

Easy way to reduce weight.

Bit off topic but I do geocaching when not bushcrafting and when they hid the caches they often leave contact details in them and mark on the container what it is so people don't get worried and call in the bomb squad and blow up your cache. So hide your container well but make it easily recognised as what it is i.e. food stash.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
sounds some what like my outing will be next week, although my kit is tried and tested....

im doing 110 miles in 3 days if possible, maybe 4. thats with all my kit, 4 days of food clothing wash kit FAK and 6 litres of water and filter/pump if i can find a half decent stream.

well done on the walk, they are sometimes the best ones...lol...

regards.

chris.

May 13, 2011
That bergen sounds about the same weight i lumbered on my back for 4 miles but this time i planned a route so at least the bike could cover 3/4 of the trip & couldn`t beleive how lighter it felt while traveling & was really glad when time to come home as took me 40 mins. Took my chances though as stashed the bike ! up half the nite by sumthing with a (deep coughing like bad bronchitis ) less than 100 yrd away i think it was a deer mostly dosapproved at me being in his feeding grounds.

jonquirk

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
Quite a learning experience you had there! One point about water: there are taps at points along the route for everyone to use; no need to leave the route for water. The Harveys map for The Ridgeway is a great help as the taps are all marked; some are easy to miss otherwise.

I walked The Ridgeway last year in two three day stints, Overton to Streatley and Streatley to Ivinghoe Beacon. Food requirements were two breakfasts, three lunches and two evening meals. Knowing I was taking three days and not four saved some weight. I saw a couple going the other way who appeared to be suffering under huge packs and they were definitely not enjoying themselves.

When I walked the South Downs Way this year, end to end, I carried food for the whole trip and too much at that. Not a mistake I will be repeating any time soon

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Now back from a long weekend glamping and able to look back on it fondly.

JohnnyNeuro - am definitely considering caches for the next long haul.

Resnikov - good call on contact details and explanation note.

Lanny - sounds like you have a character building few days ahead of you, where are you heading?

Alex

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE