The return of dug out tinder box!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Just on a related point, the tool is also called an oscillating multi tool. Lidls own brand is good and costs around £40 IIRC and fits the standard attachments.
its probably one of the most useful tools I own. Being able to cut forwards (and with so little oscillation that it won't cut you) is so handy.
Makes cutting light switch holes in plaster, getting behind skirting to remove nails and getting grout out from between tiles a doddle.
With a bimetal blade fitted, will do many of the jobs of an angle grinder but with no sparks.

you know when you buy something and every time you use it you go over all the jobs in the past that it would have made so much easier. For me, this is that tool.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks, just back home after 7 days pretty much locked in a small room with a teenaged son and a camera pointed at us I've finally escaped back to my Shed.

I'm a bit tired, to say the least so ill start digging out then photos and notes I've made over the weekend.

ATB

Tom

A while back I did a variation on the dugout tinderbox made from a scrap piece of wood, all sawn and chiselled out and since it was a manky piece of wood to start with, stained and nailed back together where it cracked up on being hammered!

17thCtinderBox01_zps1e9950cc.jpg

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well I found the really warped oak block ( 7.5 x 2.5 x 3.5 inch ) I cut first, bunged superglue in the cracks and attacked it again with the plunge saw and chisels

image.jpg1_zpsstf2ymyc.jpg

son of dug out tinder box! Of course the inside bottoms are pretty bumpy but I can live with that. I need to get more steels, that ones borrowed from the middle son, who's been playing with the thing since he got in.

atb

tom

Last edited:

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Just going to have to (try) making one!!! Looks great. I got an old dominoes box for £2 and was going to use that for the fireside but you've put my idea to shame.:eek:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
To be honest it's been great fun, bashing away. Cutting across the grain was tough, ill say that.

currently all my photos and notes on wooden tinder boxes are trapped on the old computer ( which sounds like a tractor ) which has been disconnected from the monitor et al. Ill whine to herself to connect it back up.

ATB

Tom

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Lovely bit of kit and by the looks of it, you've got a tough piece of wood to dig into there??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE