The "Red Hunters Axe" by Cegga - first production run

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 4605

Similar experience here. Mine arrived this morning with the same split in the top of the rubber.

Overall very happy with it - although I have the same concerns about the mask locking mechanism - but like everyone else I need to have a proper play with it.

Well done Cegga - top workmanship.

I do have photos, but Red's original ones do it justice.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Mines here too. Everything about it is fantastic, including Ceggas card!!

It feels great, it has great balance and takes the corner off a piece of A4, anything more I shan't say until I have had more of a play.

Richard

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thank you all for the feedback - it is all gratefully received.

For anyone who wanted the "specs" of your purchase, the following is from Cegga

The steel I use is HB 3 it ´s the same as GB and the HRC is ca 55 The temp when hardened is 820 and to temper it´s 250 for 30 min .

The axe mask question is a good one. Certainly when I first saw it I thought...oooh - weird. In use, it has been no worse (or better) than a GB mask. I have already opened discussions with Singteck about a mask similar to the ones he has done for my other axes but to a "stand alone" pattern.

I had considered offering the axe with such a mask, but was worried that the additional cost might put the axe beyond the reach of some (when you think that the axe less shipping was £25, you can see it would be a big difference).

I am going to have one made and would be happy to publish the photos if anyone is interested? Then if anyone wants one they can chat directly with Singteck?

Red

Gailainne

Life Member
Ive uploaded a few photos here
But Mayfly's cover it, I do have a picture of the result of cutting paper.

About the mask, even though it has a belt loop, the design is such I would never wear it that way. This kind of tool I would probably keep in my rucksack till needed, as such the mask for my needs is fine, nice workmanship.

The whole package, blade, haft and mask shows craftmanship to a high degree.
Really pleased with it.

The only things I would suggest is a bit more packing, and that Cegga gets a stamp made up, these blades deserve it.

Stephen

Query Do ppl actually carry axes on their belt ?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for the comments guys.

I must explain the notion of "feedback" to Cegga :eek:

Just got this from him

Hi !!
They seems like ther are some wrong with some axe´s or ??
can you say what so I now pleas don´t no what they mean .

Cegga

Or loosely translated

It seems as if there is something wrong with some of the axes...can you explain so I know what to do...I'm not sure I understand

Bless :D

I've expalined that we wanted loads of comments and feedback and that (so far) no-one wants to take me up on "Reds money back guarantee" ;)

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Gailainne said:
The only things I would suggest is a bit more packing, and that Cegga gets a stamp made up, these blades deserve it.

Stephen

Query Do ppl actually carry axes on their belt ?

Bit more packing would be better, because the axes could move about in the box. I reckon my one got dropped onto something hard, which caused the dink. I think the axes would be better protected with the masks on....
Yes some people carry axes on their belt, but usually just slotted through the belt, rather than attached to it....From what I have seen...
Cegga does have a stamp on the blade, just above the poll, on the top...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi,

If anyone has not received their axeyet, could they let me know via this thread please? Cegga is anxious to know that they all turned up!

Cheers

Red

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
Here and now used! I took the day off because I had man flu, well OK I wanted to use the axe. I'll write something up once I've used it a bit more, but I now have a squared off lump of green beech, a section that splintered off when a tree came down recently. Lots of user problems but no axe ones!

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
British Red said:
Hi,

If anyone has not received their axeyet, could they let me know via this thread please? Cegga is anxious to know that they all turned up!

Cheers

Red

I'm fairly certain that the "You were out when we tried to deliver" card that I got yesterday was my axe, I'll be picking up tomorrow morning, will yet you know when I've done so and give you a first impression review.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Picked up the axe from the post office depot first thing this morning, this did mean I had to take it into work so I thought I'd better not open it till I was alone.

However as the first person I ran into was the works resident wood and metalwork technician I thought it was a good chance to get an opinion of a non bushcrafter on materials that he knows better then me. After a minute or 2 of looking it over, with me pointing out how parallel the woodgrain was in the correct direction, he only had one word to say. "Quality"
To which I can only add, he's very fussy about the tools he uses.
Sometimes the least amount of words says the most, so that takes care of the materials and manufacturing really ;)

I'll presume that anyone reading this thread has already seen the previous picture and read the dimensions and etc so will jump to how does it feel in the hand.

The wood feels smooth and grips firmly, clasping it lightly in my right, at various points along the handle, I tried to push it out of my grip with my left hand, no slippage, so I tried tapping the butt, then eye, it stayed firmly in my right hand grip. Changing tact a little I held it just with my right thumb and index finger wrapped lightly around, tis time tapping either end produced just a few mm of slippage, ( doing the same with a piece of wooden broom handle and it moves about 3-6 inches ) when actually gripping with just my finger and thumb it produced none. This give me great confidence that it's not going to fly out of my hand in use and will deliver any cut as good as my aim and technique is. I guess I'm going to have to work on that now I've lost an excuse ;)

In my ( I think size 8-9 squeeze into medium gloves fit easily into large) hands gripping the handle near the bottom, for a power stoke, my middle fingers
fit snuggle into the flesh of my thumb. Going up the handle it feels the same for a few inches then starts to slightly widen to the top where they wrap round and just touch, great for fine work and delicate chipping, all the way along it has a nice progression and balance.

At this point I wish I was more experienced with axes and could comment on the bit and grind but other they to say, out of the box I've managed to rough shave to part of my arm and cut a piece of paper, and to check out the previous picture, I don't really think I can say very much of value.

So I gave it a quick test on a piece of battonning I had lying around. I managed to easily create some passable feather sticks ( which I'm not even too good at with my Frosts Mora ) and chopped a nice point onto the end with little effort. The surface of the remaining wood feels very smooth, almost planed, considerable smoother than the surfaces that the wood originally had.

As for portability, well you've already read the sizes. In practise it fits neatly into a Snugpak side pouch, which means it's far more likely to be carried just in case than if it was even a few inches longer, and just long enough that it could be pressed into use 2 handed. To me that's the perfect size for a single axe.

I like this axe, I like it a lot, I like it so much I'm going to buy a cheap axe to practise my techniques with so I don't ruin it doing anything stupid.

Which only leaves me with one problem. I like to suggest things that might help someone improve something, I even like suggesting something that they came back and explain why they didn't do it that way, I'm at a rare loss to actually come up with anything to do with the axe itself.

So the only thing I think I might be able to contribute is an idea about shipping.
Having read Cegga's advice slip that came the box, he suggests not using the shelter on it if it's not to be used for a long time. I can only presume that why it's shipped without the mask on, I'm guessing maybe it will retain moisture against the metal or something. Having read of others where the egde covering had arrived slightly split ( mine arrived in tact ) I'd suggest maybe wrapping the head in a little tissue then covering with a piece of plastic bag, which can be sealed to the top of the handle with a small elastic band, then putting the mask on.
That just goes to show how hard pressed I was to come up with some critical feedback ;)

Tack Cegga and thanks Red, you have one very satisfied ( and lucky ) customer here.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
The first thing that struck me when I arrived home to see the box was that it was there. I was looking for a red card, but there it was, the box went through the letterbox! I knew the dimensions, but this was small, I had no problems with the blade being damaged, but it slid around the box a little – wrap it in newspaper?

I opened the box and had a little swing, the kids were up so nothing too vigorous. It felt lovely, the balance was spot on and the weight just right. I read the piece of paper a few times to get it (for a Swedish guy who doesn’t speak much English you have to admire the effort that went into it – shame on us Brits and our language skills). I looked at the detail – the card was well done(not importnat but a nice little gesture that leaves a nice feeling), there was a stamp with Cegga 01 on the top, and the line of the blade down the handle was spot on (EXACTLY). The handle has stunning grain patterns, following the line of the handle adding strength, and is roughly (nut not too roughly) finished, which means it holds well when a little wet (I tried). It's also chunkier than any I'm used to which means it fits in my hand much more comfortably and I can have a slightly more relaxed grip.

When the kids were in bed I took off the mask. It was secure – at least as secure as the ones with a press stud and a damn site prettier, but that flappy thing may wear through after a while with the teeth of the cord grip.

As I mentioned above the balance is superb, really really comfortable and I felt I could carve with it for quite a while without feeling the fatigue I do with my small forest axe. So I took them both out to the pile of branches I had collect for the very purpose (if only my lessons were this well planned)!!!

I started with the SFA just to remind myself of the starting point, and it is a little unwieldy when carving fine stuff, but when used at full length went through a piece of green Scots Pine an inch and three quarters thick with one swing.

I swapped to the Cegga and swung. It was delightful; better balance, lighter and a perfect length handle.

Then it hit the wood.

It stopped.

It was about 12mm in.

I couldn’t understand, it took the corner off the A4 cleanly, it stuck on my fingernail. So I had a closer look. The convex grind is just that: Convex, with a capital C. 3mm back from the blade it’s thick, it splits well, but that is not what I am after from something this size. I would like a thinner edge to really bite, with me it’s not for heavy splitting. I am soaking my wet stones as we speak for an evening taking it down.

It’s not that I’m not happy with this axe, please don’t think that. I am over the moon with it, the skill, effort and love that went into it are clearly evident. Everything is perfect. The attention to detail is a lesson to all of us who make things.

It’s just that I would like a shaper grind on it, that’s my preference. But then you have to think of the people who want a broader grind, I can always take it thinner with a little work; having that extra material gives me that option, so I probably wouldn’t even change the grind for the next run - to leave that choice there for others.

Overall I am thrilled I got in on this. It will stay with me, it fits in my daysack (which the SFA won’t) and is better for the carving jobs I enjoy. I’m sure with a regrind it will do all I ask of it.

It has found a special place amongst my belongings, and I will enjoy using it for years to come (the 20 year – or working life of Cegga – guarantee is also something special with a tool which will have a hard life). I think what I am trying to say is that I suppose it is perfect, not for me, not for the next guy, but for us as a group. I’ll enjoy the modifications I feel I need to make, making it really mine.

This is the best thing I have bought for myself for a long long time. Thank-you Red, for a design I can’t fault, thank-you Cegga for your perfectionism and realizing the idea as well as you have.

Richard

Joseph

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2006
Norfolk
Used mine briefly on clearing some small saplings on the overgrown allotment. Worked well good feel. Same experience as Dougster convex good for splitting small stuff but not much penetration, still chopped well enough. Going to have a proper use before deciding whether to have a go with the mouse mat and wet and dry. Good for its intended purpose with the grind style and I'm thinking of keeping it for contrast. Was much more concious of it's swing it seems a perfect length to bite into my hip/crotch area. So care and attention as always is needed with this small sharp tool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE