The Professionals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
As in, the late 70s crime/action series, with Cowley, Bodie and Doyle from CI5.

Recently been watching them on DVD, having last watched them on TV 30 years ago.

Weren't they good? Somewhat politically incorrect in terms of sexism and aggressive driving of unenvironmentally friendly 3 litre Ford Capris, but somehow very watchable. Especially lines like:

Arrested gunman: 'I want a lawyer.'
Bodie (looking menancing): 'Why? Are you writing your will?'

Classic stuff.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Bravo, I think, has been showing the Professionals recently - classic!

Funny thing is, I remember rarely being allowed to watch it when I was a kid - too violent and racy perhaps - but I was still bought the Professionals Annual for Xmas - go figure! Is it any wonder I've grown up with an inherent mistrust of authority ;)

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I was a Police Cadet doing my CID attachment in Salisbury when the Sweeny appeared on the box..........I was amazed at how, almost overnight, west country CID officers adopted the language, attitude and dress of Inspector Regan and Sgt Carter.

I used to like Special Branch.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I am too young to remember it first time around but the re-runs always make me chuckle, particularly Martin Shaws permed hair. Apparently he held a veto on it being re-run for many years as he felt that the image of the show undermined his acting reputation. Dont know what truth there is in that.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The phrase Eye Candy hadn't been invented but Bodie and Doyle........:eek: :D
Martin Shaw hasn't aged as well but Lewis Collins is still a good looking man :naughty:

cheers,
Toddy

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
My dad knew Lewis Collins uncle Tom Collins through the gunmaking trade. He blew himself up out the back of his shop by welding next to a keg of gunpowder. True story.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I remember getting sent to bed and creaping back into the living room and standing behind one of the chairs in the living room behind mum and dads chairs and watching it, great stuff. I saw quite a few of them but there must be loads that I missed.

The Sweeney was great as well.

We don't have TV at home so I don't even catch the reruns of stuff :(

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
My dad knew Lewis Collins uncle Tom Collins through the gunmaking trade. He blew himself up out the back of his shop by welding next to a keg of gunpowder. True story.

Lewis used to be in Toms adverts in the shooting press, looking all mean and moody.

Fair play to the guy though, he joined the TA Paras [at Duke of Yorks down on the Kings Road] and did P Company and his jumps. Spotted him once at Browning Barracks when we were mooching around Aldershot one weekend........must have been 1979 - 1980.

We don't have TV at home so I don't even catch the reruns of stuff :(

You are such a lucky man! I lived for years without tv and had so much more peace and quiet than now! Now that I'm married, the house is filled with trash tv from morning to midnight and it drives me insane. The kids and my good lady will watch Maury, Trisha, Gerry Springer from dawn til dusk aaaaaagh trash tv...........my only admission is to watching the discovery channel when I get a chance! But I'd swap anything I owned for that blooming telly to be ejected forever into orbit!

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
i was born about a decade after the show was orignally aired, so i will never grasp the whole atomsphere of the period. however the show still highly entertaining, the charaters worked and interacted as a team amazingly well which made everything believable. the storys are clever (something rare on TV now.) the dialogue is brilliant, witty and just what you can imagine guys like Cowley, Bodie and Doyle would say. it's a just a shame that after only 57 episodes they called it a day after losing ratings to an inferior show like The Sweeny. although sometimes its best to leave you asking for more.

after discovering the show around two months ago i can't find a current show that can compete. its all rather disappointing, why can't modern show live this?

PH

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot

A good shop it was to, went there a couple of times, never saw lewis collins in the shop though.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
cor memories - running around in imatation leather jackets firing cap guns in public without the worry of getting shot by coppers, calling each other slags and telling everyone to shut it - brilliant.

did anyone else get the CI5 annual along with the beano? lots of guns and tales of carlos the jackal if I remember rightly.

then along comes political correctness and it all goes 180 degrees in the intended direction. :(

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A good shop it was to, went there a couple of times, never saw lewis collins in the shop though.
Lewis was (and probably is) a more than fair pistol shot as it happens - I remember having a lane next to him once and being ready to laugh - and then not laughing at all - he was very good!

Red

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Lewis was (and probably is) a more than fair pistol shot as it happens - I remember having a lane next to him once and being ready to laugh - and then not laughing at all - he was very good!

Red

Ahh talk of pistol shooting, still weeping over the loss of my pistols, was even talk in my club of trying to register with a club in France and keep them there but nothing came of it, great pity. Most people dont realise how diciplined and enjoyable sport it is.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
one of the biggest earners in prague is from stag do's and people who want to shoot going down to the gallerys and blasting away with all that ex warsaw pact stock. it is annoying that even the olympic teams have to go abroad to practise. the crims still have guns and even before the ban most guns came in illegally anyway so it was another of those pointless exercises to make us feel safer like the airport security checks, knife bans and speed cameras.

I am definately beside noel edmonds on his positivity thing :)

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Lewis used to be in Toms adverts in the shooting press, looking all mean and moody.

Fair play to the guy though, he joined the TA Paras [at Duke of Yorks down on the Kings Road] and did P Company and his jumps. Spotted him once at Browning Barracks when we were mooching around Aldershot one weekend........must have been 1979 - 1980.

I understand that he originally joined the TA as "preparation" for his upcoming film 'Who Dares Wins' released in 1982. He wanted to get it right and make it look like he could pass off as a special forces soldier.

Then found he enjoyed it as well and stayed in for a good number of years until he moved to Spain.:)

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
The Professionals - loved that programme as a kid!!

Wasn't there also a magazine (monthly?) that came out around the same time - I have vague memories of buying a branded mag that had interviews, behind the scenes stuff, possibly even 'picture stories' in it!

Anyone else remember it?!

Bob:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE