The problem with ordering from the US is...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
UK Customs!
mickeymouse.gif

On Sunday 7/2, I bought a Katadyn Desalinator, and despite the seller's location having 30" of snow on the ground, the United States Postal Service collected the package the same day!
happy0034.gif

I visited the Parcel Force Central London Depot to confirm the status of my order, and was informed that they have yet to receive the package as UK Customs have not passed it on!
sad0068.gif

So, from 10:15 on 17/2, my order has been with UK Customs, whom, according to the up to date 'Tracking Event' system have yet to process and release it to Parcel Force for delivery within 48 hours.
sign0195.gif

The USPS collects my Priority Mail International shipment the day of ordering, when there's 30" of snow on the ground.
clap.gif

On arrival in the UK, the UK Customs receives the shipment, and fails to process it after a week! The status is described (without irony!) as " In Progress".
duh.gif

I have never had any order failed to be processed for so long, they are usually very rapid in issuing demands for payments levied on imports.

Have I been lucky in the past, or is this degree of delay unusual? :confused:

Here's the latest 'Tracking Event' display!

Date Time Location Tracking Event

17-02-2010 10:15 International Hub AWAITING CUSTOMS CHARGING
17-02-2010 10:15 International Hub AWAITING CUSTOMS CHARGES
17-02-2010 09:36 International Hub Arrived in destination country
12-02-2010 07:12 FOREIGN CENTER JERSEY CITY NJ 099 Left origin country
11-02-2010 10:04 FOREIGN CENTER JERSEY CITY NJ 099 Arrived at Outward OE
07-02-2010 16:11 Delivery Agent - UNITED STATES AMERICA Collected from customer

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Parcelforce charge a customs clearance charge if you get stung for tax. My Filson tin cruiser cost me 17.5% VAT to the Whitehall trough and £8 to the state parcel-delivery quango -- on top of price and delivery charges. Took bloody forever to arrive too.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I orderd a new knife, with sheath & matching firesteel from Jim Adams, of black toe knives.
I have previously purchased 2 knives from Jim without a problem, this one however, has disapeared with out a trace.

Rob

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Import duty is the killer plus the postage Cabela's charge.

Had a few e-bay purchases slip through undetected of late but I'm sure the day I go for something 'interesting' will be the day they wise up!

Helps if the enclosed letter/note and package description suggests long-forgoten Uncle Filson left you his nearly new hunting jacket. I understand hey can't or often don't charge for a "gift" but don't quote me!

Cheers

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Parcelforce charge a customs clearance charge if you get stung for tax. My Filson tin cruiser cost me 17.5% VAT to the Whitehall trough and £8 to the state parcel-delivery quango -- on top of price and delivery charges. Took bloody forever to arrive too.

Last time I ordered from Filson, they sent via UPS, who charged me £11 per parcel in "agency fees", on top of everything else. And Filson had decided to ship my trousers and braces separately...

Filson now have a UK dealer - I wouldn't be at all surprised if ordering from them works out even more expensive.

Might be worth calling the HMRC dept to make sure they are not awaiting further details.

Occasionally packages can sit in customs because they don;t have any VAT account details to apply the charges to - has happened a few times with me.

Of course, I did also have UPS take 2 weeks to deliver a package which then arrived wrapped in bin bags! When I opened it the entire box and contents was soaked through - seems someone had left it outside the dept for a few days in the rain :confused:

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Last time I ordered from Filson, they sent via UPS, who charged me £11 per parcel in "agency fees", on top of everything else. And Filson had decided to ship my trousers and braces separately...

Filson now have a UK dealer - I wouldn't be at all surprised if ordering from them works out even more expensive.

That's news to me, but you're right -- £200 for a mac cruiser!

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
And that's the sale price, with 30% off! I suspect the next time I want some Filson gear, I'm going to have to get someone in the US to order it for me and send it over.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I got my Desalinator!
happy0054.gif

According to the UK Border Agency charge notice affixed to the box, this was processed on 18/2/10... And released on 3/3/10! :confused:

So, it only took 24 hours to process the item, why then retain it till 3/3? :confused:

04-03-2010 09:01 London Central Depot Awaiting payment of charges
04-03-2010 00:42 London Central Depot Arrived at delivery depot
03-03-2010 18:39 National Hub Sorted in hub
03-03-2010 10:41 International Hub RELEASED WITH CHARGES

I had to collect it, but having visited the Depot three times for this item, I had no trouble finding it.
duh.gif

I'll post some pics in the next few days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE