The perfect pickled onion!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not sure about the juniper berries, that's why we don't drink gin, all tastes of juniper, yuk. Ours are already done for this year anyway but look a bit cloudy, no idea what went wrong

You don't want to overdo any of the flavours & if you don't like Juniper, leave it out for sure

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Hi British Red. Can I ask a question please? You mentioned in the video something about the different kinds of malt vinegar. I'm about to buy a gallon as I always do of the brown malt non brewed but I think you said something about this not being the best for pickling as it is acetic acid and caramel. I noticed that is what it said on the container . I've always used it but I'm always looking to improve the produce I make.
Sadly I'm about to run out of Internet on my phone. . My only access to you tube and it uses it like crazy.
Would you recommend I hold off and buy something else or use it anyway. Thanks

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its explained in the video Simon. NBC is an acronym for Non Brewed Condiment. Its made from acetic acid, caramel and water. In effect its synthetic vinegar.

Reactions: santaman2000

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Ahhh, my long departed Godmother, her pickled onions and marmalade were such as I have never tasted or made the equal of.........three onions and a slab of stand pie, what better lunch over Christmas ?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Write it all down. I read (above) what's in error with most families everywhere.
Somebody dies with the family favorite recipes in their head.
This alone was the main driver for me to type up a digital cookbook to break that tradition.
Shared only within family including edits every few years.

NOT recipes that I call "nice-to-have" or the others: "you-should-try-this." Not a snowball's chance in Hello.
Pickled onions could become one of my essential food groups very quickly.
Are they good with liver and bacon?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Write it all down. I read (above) what's in error with most families everywhere.
Somebody dies with the family favorite recipes in their head.
This alone was the main driver for me to type up a digital cookbook to break that tradition.
Shared only within family including edits every few years.

NOT recipes that I call "nice-to-have" or the others: "you-should-try-this." Not a snowball's chance in Hello.
Pickled onions could become one of my essential food groups very quickly.
Are they good with liver and bacon?

Best with cheese, crusty bread and cold cuts. Used as a bit of acid crunch with cold meat, sausage rolls etc.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bick's is a brand of pickled cucumbers here. Sweet & Sour, Dill weed and so on.
They sell a mixed chop of pickled things. I confess thast I use a lobster pick to eat all the pearl onions first.
BR, you're right = it's that pop of a crunchy bite that's the best.

Reactions: British Red

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Pickling is universal, but the taste varies with culture. Hugely.
I prefer the Waitrose ‘luxury’ p. onions.

Too lazy to do my own.

Son makes fantastic Pickled Baby Octopus!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE