The mother of all cauliflowers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Riding over to visit my folks this evening I spied this beauty! Sparassis crispa the cauliflower fungus.
caulifungus.jpg

Just to give you an idea of the size it's sitting in an 11 3/4 inch skillet! I weighed it at 6lbs! lost a bit trimming it up though.
I've had a few smaller ones of late so I'll dry this one.
Sorry the cooker isn't too clean, hope my mum doesn't see :eek:):

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
nice find mate

who said it was a bad year for edible fungi??????

a nice edible one, quite leathery before cooking, which makes it one of the few fungi i would suggest washing

mmmmmmm then a creamy sauce or an omlette

:lol: Tant

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks guys! I'm finding lots at the moment, found another two today, just normal size though. So one's tomorrow lunch and the other I'll dry as well :eek:): .

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Tyr said:
Man that is huge, I guess it was hard to miss. I love eating these but I think they are a pain to clean, or am I just doing it wrong.
Yes, they can be a pain to clean. This big one in particular had alot of slugs in it. I dry them by putting them on the grill tray, under the grill on a low heat with the door ajar, the bugs and slugs drop down to escape the heat and you can blow off most of the bits that didn't wash off. I'm not too bothered about eating the odd bug or pine needle anyway :wink:

B

Bi0

Nice find!

I love the firm texture and nutty flavour of Sparassis crispa. I found a nice specimen in Sherwood forest last year and cultured it on agar. The mycelium looks like a little white spiky hedgehog lol. Might try cultivating it at some point.

Bi0

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE