The Moneyless man - Book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Not posted for a while, so hello again one and all.

I recently read a book called 'the Moneyless man' about a chap who lived for a year using no money. I wondered if anyone else had read it and what are your thoughts. I believe he's continued living with no money after the year finished.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moneyless-M...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278434674&sr=1-1
I quite enjoyed the book and read it in one sitting. My view is I enjoyed the book and like the guy and respect what he's doing. I must admit some of it is a bit too much for me for example getting food from supermarket bins, but I understand that it's almost always perfectly good food and better than it going to 'land fill'. I'd be too worried about the police collaring me.
There's a little on foraging and a natural remedy for hay fever using greater plantain which I didn't know about. I don't suffer from hay fever but my son does so I'm going to give it a try for him.
I liked the bit where someone said to him living without money for a year was extreme - his reply was buying an HD plasma TV for £2'000 or £3'000 was extreme. There's some other very good quotes in there and a good read.
I like the idea of bartering skills or work for some food or tools etc instead of money though.
I had an enquiry from a cub scout troop about me teaching bushcraft for them and have answered that I'd do it. Not for money but for a box of vegetables, some meat or a case of beer. Love it and will be giving thought to some more ideas for bartering for either skills (my car needs fixing) or grub.
Nice to be back - and I hope everyone is well.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
UK - near the Bath , Bristol area.
I don't think I could manage it to the level he took it to. I have to pay rent and I don't think my landlady is interested in 'my skills' to barter instead of hard cash, but it certainly gave me some ideas to try and live using less money.........and as I no longer work for anyone but myself and havn't got a lot of money that's probably a good thing.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Another book on the same line where food is concerned is John Lewis-Sempel's The wild life.
The guy ate only wild food for a year as his main ingredients,ok not as extreme as above but good to find out about the two hundred ways to prepare rabbits.
Soloman.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
This is the same chap who was going to walk to India but gave up at Calais. He produces the odd article for Guardian now and again.

Some earlier threads about his ideas and exploits may be read here and here.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE