The London Finish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

timtom1

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Lancs
www.barkcanoe.net
I was recently in Norway with Bushcraft Expeditions and one of the topics covered was The London Finish I was just wondering has anybody got anymore details of how to do this to an Axe Handle?

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
hi timtom1
the London finish looks really good on guns but i think it will be far to smooth for an Axe Handel, its likely to fly out your hand when you use it:eek:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I spoke with a London gun maker and they used a mix of linseed, beeswax and terebene. I combined that mix with informaiton from this site
http://www.wwch.org/Technique/Finishes/OilFin.htm
and tried it on a walnut knife handle. It isn't totally finished, but is looking good. I did a search on the net for oil finishes and came across "London Finish" in a couple of places, but I think that the above link covers the process better than most.

The result is smooth, but I dion't know what it would be like in the wet. For an axe I don't think I would go to all that trouble.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE