The isle of Arran

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Hopefully heading out here at half term - any pointers as to good places to stay, or interesting things to do? I have ever intention of taking advantage of the more wise Scottish laws surrounding wild camping... I will certainly have my 7-year old partner in crime in tow as well...

N

Brilliant place, my Mother lives up there and I've had some top times wandering about, Loch Ranza beautiful in the architypal Scottish way, Goat Fell good hill day was enough to be an adventure for my lad when he was seven without being out of reach or too scarey. Mirk Wood worth a wander too but I'm not sure whats happening with the forestry at the mo good chippy in Bodick, excellent home cooked food at the Bredalbaine or Kildonnan hotels. Arran Adventure runs canoe trips etc(I can possibly find out more up to date stuff from them if you want?) .
Are you tenting or looking for B&B or similar? either way I can phone up and see whats good and whats ok and or where to avoid (not many if any places though will fall into the latter group)
Best advice though is go there explore and enjoy it.
Cheers Tim

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Check with tourist office (I know , a bit naff) for details of Hen Harrier video watch.You'll also see Golden Eagle up north end.Watch for seabirds and marine mammals on ferry trip over.
Tom.

Mar 29, 2007
by yon bonnie braes
You will LOVE Arran!!! It is such a beautiful place, I grew up a short ferry ride from the place. It has amazing wildlife, so take the binoculars, and just enjoy it. Check out http://www.visitarran.net/ for info on the island and like Tim I can recommend a visit to Lochranza. Have a great time and let us know how you get on.

Theresa

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Thanks for all the ideas! We were going to tent it, but with tarps and hammocks to hand for any suitable opportunity. I will look into the canoe possibilities, and we'll certainly be taking our atl-atls if there are deer about! (not really!!!!!).

Excited of High Peak

N

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Brodick castle has plenty to keep a 7 year old entertained for a while.
Glenashdale falls are quite impressive when there's some water in it.
Gather pitchstone for making heads for your atlatl at NS048340

Wander among the standing stones at Machrie and nosy around the caves and hill fort at Drumadoon. Another pitchstone seam there at NR887302 but not as big.

Pony trekking in Glen Sannox is worth a go. There used to be a school in Glen Rosa too. Not sure if it's still going but the ride up Rosa was real nice.

The 70 shilling in the Ormidale deserves every award it wins :).

Grooveski said:
Brodick castle has plenty to keep a 7 year old entertained for a while.
Glenashdale falls are quite impressive when there's some water in it.
Gather pitchstone for making heads for your atlatl at NS048340

Wander among the standing stones at Machrie and nosy around the caves and hill fort at Drumadoon. Another pitchstone seam there at NR887302 but not as big.

Pony trekking in Glen Sannox is worth a go. There used to be a school in Glen Rosa too. Not sure if it's still going but the ride up Rosa was real nice.

The 70 shilling in the Ormidale deserves every award it wins :).

and don't pass up the oppertunity of an arran blonde at the brewery, brill on a hot day...condensation nicely running down the glass :) . Should be water on Glenashdale falls as theres been a fair bit of rain. check out the spikey oak on the walk up and the twisted apple boughs. also for an almost wild camp (because your close to civilization) walk out of whiting bay towards the golf course once up the hill instead of bearing right to the golf course head left and drop down into the glen on a single track road. continue over the burn past the three houses (listen for the elsctric frog at ivy cottage) follow the track up into the forrstry as far as the ironn age hill fort with a veiw accross toward Glenashdale falls. good place for a camp veiws woods. there was a fire pit there although that might be gone now.
Cheers Tim :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE