The Homestead - Horse powered farming

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I like old tractors, but I also like the idea of horse powered farming. In my youth I'd wander around Perthshire and the Scottish borders and I'd often see old pieces of farm machinery rusting away, the wooden parts all mossy and rotten. I would always hope that at least one of these bits of gear survived somewhere, at least in a list of parts or a technical drawing. Because these things evolved over the centuries and if they were lost then there would be an awful lot of trial and error to get them back again should they ever be needed.

This is a short film made to promote the Small Farmers Journal, in it, Ryan Foxley is filmed working with his horses while he talks about the animals, his life and his fiddle playing.

Towards the end you will see how all those old haylofts get filled, all by horse power. :)

[video=vimeo;71859862]http://vimeo.com/71859862[/video]

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It's a very sad state of affairs in the UK for anybody trying to farm with horses; the little kit that you can from time to time find is in a very bad state of repair, and all the people who knew the fettling of it are gone, and the prices demanded for anything worth having are extortianate. All this compounded by the almost total lack of records such as drawings, and the fact that the vast majority of gear was modified and adapted to suit local conditions, methods and traditions were carried out by highly skilled local blacksmiths, which often makes it nigh-on impossible to work out how to refurbish what you can get hold of.

Add to this the fact that we're fast losing the draught breeds that this machinery was built to be worked by; the Suffolk Punch is now an endangered breed, we don't have a sustainable breeding population of Shires any more, and although there are other draught breeds available
a lot of the old implements don't suit the build of them.

It's often the case now that decent working harness and chain gears will cost you a lot more than the horses to use them and it's become almost a rich man's hobby to even attempt to put a working team together.....................

There's a lot more to say but I've depressed myself enough, again, writing this..........................

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I've seen a permaculture magazine article where machinery associated with tractors was being built to be horse powered. Can't find it online.

One surprising statistic of the article was that there are as many horses in the UK now as there were before tractors.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Add to this the fact that we're fast losing the draught breeds that this machinery was built to be worked by; the Suffolk Punch is now an endangered breed, we don't have a sustainable breeding population of Shires any more, and although there are other draught breeds available
a lot of the old implements don't suit the build of them.....

A lot of the older breeds of draught horses were really larger than needed for a small homestead. Mind you, they are great for day in and day out ploughing on a larger basis for a big working farm; the Amish still use them extensively. But you can get by with smaller multi-purpose breeds on smaller acreage (under 300 acres)

My Uncle logged for decades with a team of mix breed horses of only about 1200-1300 pounds each. And even after switching to tractors for the logging, he and others continued to farm with horses of 1000 pounds or slightly less, single hitched.

In fact the relatively diminutive Morgan breed was developed as just such a multi-purpose breed. When I was a kid (from about age 8 through 15) I had a Morgan that was my saddle horse and Daddy's plough horse. We farmed (kitchen crops) about 10 acres with him and I competed in saddle events at shows with him.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
A lot of the older breeds of draught horses were really larger than needed for a small homestead. Mind you, they are great for day in and day out ploughing on a larger basis for a big working farm; the Amish still use them extensively. But you can get by with smaller multi-purpose breeds on smaller acreage (under 300 acres)

My Uncle logged for decades with a team of mix breed horses of only about 1200-1300 pounds each. And even after switching to tractors for the logging, he and others continued to farm with horses of 1000 pounds or slightly less, single hitched.

In fact the relatively diminutive Morgan breed was developed as just such a multi-purpose breed. When I was a kid (from about age 8 through 15) I had a Morgan that was my saddle horse and Daddy's plough horse. We farmed (kitchen crops) about 10 acres with him and I competed in saddle events at shows with him.

We also have a long tradition of using smaller mixed-blood horses of many types to work the land, take the produce to market and the family to church/chapel as well as being decent quality saddle horses, but there are some distinct differences between here and your side of the pond.

The first and most important of these was WW1, when huge numbers of the best of the bloodstock, the harness and a good deal of the various implements were requisitioned for the war effort and sent to Flanders, along with most of the men who held all those generations of horsemastership in all it's guises; none of the materiel came back from there and very few of the men and horses. At the end of the war the remaining bloodstock was of a very inferior standard and harness makers along with the agricultural engineers who built the small-scale farm machinery had been decimated, and all the people could think of was the promise of affordable tractors and technology; only those who absolutely had to use horsepower had to make do with what they could get their hands on and all the old standards went by the board.

As tractors and suchlike did indeed become affordable for some, those people found they were now in a position to buy up land from the smaller
homesteaders, and horses became used less and less, apart from the bigger farmers who held to tradition and used large teams of big draught animals to work large parcels of land. And so it went for some years, and the old implements were left about the land and fell into disuse.
Then along comes WW2 and the imperative for scrap metal to go towards, again, the war effort; the first things to go were all the old iron things
lying disused in the yards and fields. What didn't get taken this way ended up years later on the forecourts and the walls of pubs, hotels and the like.

As a consequence of all this, for many years the only old horse-drawn implements to be had were the big ones suitable for the larger draught breeds as even the bigger of the landowners found it impossible to ignore the new mechanisation and let the horse teams go.

It's true that there are a huge number of horses in the UK, but you don't need to look for long at the situation to realise that an awful lot of them aree kept as little more than pets on small patches of terribly horse-sick paddock, and a lot more than you'd imagine see nobody for days on end and are left in misery
and poor health by people who have no idea of what they need, and even worse don't really care. The situation in this green and pleasant land is, I'm afraid to say, dire.

I know whereof I speak, having spent many years now involved in horse rescue and rehabilitation.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's true that there are a huge number of horses in the UK, but you don't need to look for long at the situation to realise that an awful lot of them are kept as little more than pets on small patches of terribly horse-sick paddock, and a lot more than you'd imagine see nobody for days on end and are left in misery
and poor health by people who have no idea of what they need, and even worse don't really care. The situation in this green and pleasant land is, I'm afraid to say, dire.

I know whereof I speak, having spent many years now involved in horse rescue and rehabilitation.

Very true - I hate seeing bored dispirited horses kept on over grazed land.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
It's true that there are a huge number of horses in the UK, but you don't need to look for long at the situation to realise that an awful lot of them aree kept as little more than pets on small patches of terribly horse-sick paddock, and a lot more than you'd imagine see nobody for days on end and are left in misery

'
there was a report on that tonight on the news (BBC Midlands Today), it stated that there was some sort of ''Horse Act'' that was applicable in Wales but not in England, which judging from your post you are probably familiar with.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
the idea is great but my grandfather worked his farm with a horse and with tractor and what he would say, stick to the tractor :D horse is a lot to take care of and is expensive to keep during cold months and if you farm by yourself you can find it a lot work just to go about horses.... talking just from my own experience....

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
'
there was a report on that tonight on the news (BBC Midlands Today), it stated that there was some sort of ''Horse Act'' that was applicable in Wales but not in England, which judging from your post you are probably familiar with.

I don't have a TV, never have had one, but I suspect the act you refer to is one introduced here to stop "Fly Grazing", where people have just turned horses out on any ground they can find that has grass on it and leave them there to graze for free, regardless of ownership of the land or danger to the horses themselves. This is now banned by law in Wales - but woe betide some of the border counties, methinks!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
the idea is great but my grandfather worked his farm with a horse and with tractor and what he would say, stick to the tractor :D horse is a lot to take care of and is expensive to keep during cold months and if you farm by yourself you can find it a lot work just to go about horses.... talking just from my own experience....

Yes, you need to spend time with working horses, but when you get into the swing of it it's a very pleasurable and therapeutic thing to do, and most people find the extra work negligable; the main thing though is the vastly superior quality of the land they are used to work, no compaction,
no ruts etc., and the quality of forage is unbelievable once you've experienced it.

Meadow hay, for example, made with horses and turned by hand whilst drying is at least double the feed value of mechanically made stuff; no leaf shatter, no seed drop and somewhat more leeway with weather windows etc.

And a superb source of very good natural fertiliser as long as you pick the pasture daily and let it "cure" on a heap to be spread when it's ready.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I don't have a TV, never have had one, but I suspect the act you refer to is one introduced here to stop "Fly Grazing", where people have just turned horses out on any ground they can find that has grass on it and leave them there to graze for free, regardless of ownership of the land or danger to the horses themselves. This is now banned by law in Wales - but woe betide some of the border counties, methinks!

for those interested in working horses and old horse-drawn agricultural implements you may like to see this old clip from the 1980s of a couple of guys who worked their horses and formed a company to market those old implements, they were scarce even then like macaroon says http://www.macearchive.org/Archive/Title/atv-today-08021980-horse-farming/MediaEntry/32360.html horses were used for just about everything until just after ww2 not just farming and i am old enough to remember seeing them pulling the canal boats, this clip shows them being retired from canals in 1965 http://www.macearchive.org/Archive/...ing-barges-to-be-retired/MediaEntry/7784.html

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Great clips, shame they're not a bit longer! I too grew up in an era where in all rural and many urban locations all deliveries were made using horses; bread, milk, farm supplies and almost all market produce. Many other things also had horse transport involved by way of the canal freight, i.e. coal, steel and building materials.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Yes, but you need a lot of man hours in it. So you have to think of helpers first. A permies school or something on those lines, because back in the days people had many kids and very very cheaply hired labour, where people would work for food mostly, so the setup for hand work was different, when these days the only help I can expect is a few visits from friends and closest relatives that help me with work and this is not nearly enough help :D
I did some research in earning per month that can be done by hand and you'd barely survive the winter. I mean survive. While establishing the homestead is an expensive adventure ;) So getting back to my point, if you already have a perfectly balanced system, long years of experience, a lot of helper, you can work your farm with horses. But starting out fresh....... uhhhhhh, that's backbreaker mate ;) Don't get me wrong, I dream of owning a few horses and maybe putting them to a good use, but that's nowhere near, I'm too poor in man hours.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE