The Hardest Place to Visit in the World.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Let's hope the anthropologists leave them be. Heisenberg s principle must apply.

I agree with Red. It's about time we left folk alone. Modern people are corrosive when in contact. I know its something of a Star Trek meme but lets just leave them alone. I wont get into it here but more harm has been done in the name of science and religeon. Leave them be, true love is respect. Respect them to forge their own path.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I agree with Red. It's about time we left folk alone. Modern people are corrosive when in contact. I know its something of a Star Trek meme but lets just leave them alone. I wont get into it here but more harm has been done in the name of science and religeon. Leave them be, true love is respect. Respect them to forge their own path.

yes very true, welcoming outsiders has been the downfall of many tribes, perhaps their ferocious reputation is the only thing that ''may'' help to ensure they are left alone, I hope they suffer no more invasion than the satellites that have taken photos of the island. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
yes very true, welcoming outsiders has been the downfall of many tribes, perhaps their ferocious reputation is the only thing that ''may'' help to ensure they are left alone, I hope they suffer no more invasion than the satellites that have taken photos of the island. :)

Poetic and quoteable if you don't mind me saying so sir?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
But what if they really do want a subscription to reader digest or even worse don't have double glazing......

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
They were genetically isolated long enough their immune system has no way easily adapting let alone surviving infectious disease. The negroti (?) Of the southern parts of their islands did have quite a bit of contact with traders on the spice route over a few hundred years. They didnt do well. They died easily and being black four hundred years ago didnt mean you got treated at all well. I wonder if the northen tribe worked out that others meant disease death and oppression. Their genetic difference means that contact with anyone else could kill them. Kill anyone on sight makes sense. Other negroti people such as those in the Philippines have now had enough contact they can survive some diseases but still lack some gene markers that everyone else has and dont cope with a lot of diseases too well.

Negritos is the correct spelling. There isolated populations across various islands in asia.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
They were genetically isolated long enough their immune system has no way easily adapting let alone surviving infectious disease. The negroti (?) Of the southern parts of their islands did have quite a bit of contact with traders on the spice route over a few hundred years. They didnt do well. They died easily and being black four hundred years ago didnt mean you got treated at all well. I wonder if the northen tribe worked out that others meant disease death and oppression. Their genetic difference means that contact with anyone else could kill them. Kill anyone on sight makes sense. Other negroti people such as those in the Philippines have now had enough contact they can survive some diseases but still lack some gene markers that everyone else has and dont cope with a lot of diseases too well.

thankyou for the informative input Xylaria :)

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
Surprised I haven't heard of this island and it's inhabitants before - thanks for sharing.

Hope they are left well alone and not messed up by outside influences though it's inevitable there will be continued attempts to contact them.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But we have to accept that they are humans and have a right to everything else that other humans have, good and bad.

They are not animals and shouldnt be kept on an exclusive reserve.

They have plenty of trees and no doubt have boats, so one day may get curious?

(Or do they deal permenently with people who voice interest in the outside world?)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'd be interested to see the population numbers there, got to be a few first cousin matches with a low population intermixing.
Also how can the writers of the article tell they are all in excellent health without visiting them? Those articles seem to have an agenda and not a vast amount of evidence to base it on.

Yeah, all the people who came to the beach looked healthy, all the ones who stayed in their huts could have been knackered mind.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
But we have to accept that they are humans and have a right to everything else that other humans have, good and bad.

They are not animals and shouldnt be kept on an exclusive reserve.

They have plenty of trees and no doubt have boats, so one day may get curious?

(Or do they deal permenently with people who voice interest in the outside world?)

What seperates us from animals? Why shouldn't these folk be given a chance? Leave them be... Our mental capabilities havent caught up with body yet.
Don't spoil them. If they were 'animals' we'd leave them be. Well we are and please do.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
I don't think anyone is trying to contact these people, it is a policy to leave them alone.
The Australians are pretty keen on keeping them undisturbed, from what I can recall.
There is an exclusion zone around their island, no watercraft are allowed to come within a mile, or more.
They send boats with various voyeuristic type equipment, to watch them from a safe distance.
Read a great writeup on it once, on an Australian website. No idea what one though, quite some time ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE