The Grey Corries - February 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Just going back through my photos and realised I'd had a trip out in February but I can't remember if I posted anything. Anyway, apologies if I have but here we go. It's not that bushcrafty but it was an enjoyable trip out in the Scottish mountains.

2h3zzt3.jpg

Me and Jim had aborted a trip in November 1/2 way through due to appalling weather so we'd planned to have another try and settled on the Grey Corries, just to the East of Ben Nevis and South of Spean Bridge. In February this year, we got the bus from Glasgow to Spean Bridge and walked in from there. We carried about 5kg of coal each on top of our winter gear but I'd recently got hold of a second-hand Macpac Torres 70 and, I have to say, it was exceptionally comfortable.

2prwort.jpg

We walked into the Lairig Leacach (sp?) bothy and stayed 2 nights. The weather on days 1 and 2 was nothing short of breathtaking: bright sun, amazing conditions, quite 'alpine'. Best weather I've ever had in the Scottish mountains. The bothy was absolutely freezing though - even with the fire (we'd carried coal in). I think the outside temp was about -5 and it felt colder inside!

294jkom.jpg

We walked the Grey Corries ridge and back on Day 1, which was a looooong day. Jim had real problems with his feet - even though he's had his boots 5 years and never had any issues previously. Weird. So, on Day 3 we walked out again to Spean Bridge and got the bus back home. Before we left, we had a look at the small Commando museum in the pub in Spean Bridge - free and well-worth a look. They were hard men.

2drb3gn.jpg

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
The funny looking photo was me messing about with a filter on my Canon G15 - oddly enough, it's called 'Model Village'! It basically takes a picture with only a narrow strip in focus. You can do something similar in GIMP or photoshop by slightly blurring the top and bottom of the picture. I love the effect - only problem is I tend to overuse it.

I thought the 3rd picture reminded me very much of the Swiss Alps. Amazingly clear day - stunning views as far as the high;ands and islands from the summits.

The first pic - it was a cold as it looks! I wore Paramo Aspira salopettes and jacket (Saved up for bloody years! More expensive than their own weight in pick'n'mix and I still had to buy them second hand...) which performed amazingly and were actually too warm sometimes. Nevertheless, we got quite cold at night, even in sleeping bags and that North Face bag has bivvied out all over the place.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Rich, I get my house back (long painful story...) at the end of the month so you're welcome to stop by on the way north one day.

That is an offer you may live to regret. Bearsden to Skye, then onto Inverness for Stalking in October with the family, but am making my usual crazy four day stalking stags run early October. I'll be in touch and buy you a drink or four.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE