The Gardens Of The British Working Class - Margaret Willes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Hi,

Has anyone read the book mentioned in the title? I would like to buy a copy of the book but at the price it would be beneficial to know if it is recommended.

If the homestead is the wrong location please move this post (I was Swithering between here and other chatter)

Regards,
Calurix

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I can’t offer an opinion on the book as I haven’t read it, it sounds an interesting read though and covers over four hundred years of history up to today. http://yalebooks.co.uk/display.asp?K=9780300187847 During the Second World War my grandfather grew roses and was so passionate about them that he absolutely refused to build an air raid shelter as that would have meant digging them up, during air raids the children would all hide under the kitchen table instead not that that would have done any good.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
In studies such as The English Yeoman: in the Tudor and Stuart Ages by Mildred Campbell the point is made that there was two way traffic between the gardens of the propertied aspirational working class and those of the aristocracy with the exchange of plants and recipes for herbal treatments and the like.

The reduction of garden sizes in new housing developments today is a scandal. Some years ago it was calculated that in terms of farm gate prices the gardens of a new housing development were more productive than the agricultural land covered by that development.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE