The Firts Scandi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Well the knife vice started life like this, three plates of 01 tool steel.

p1010082small0fq.jpg

With this went four 10mm threaded bars and a couple of bits of wood.

I drilled it out so that I had 4 holes in each of the plates (10.5mm in two of the plates and 12mm in the other which would later be the top one of the three)

p1010084small1db.jpg

Add the bars bolts and cut a slot in the middle of the center plate 3.5-4mm in width running lengthways. Add bits of wood four locking bolts and some butterfly nuts and you end up with this.

p1010087small0pq.jpg

I used the center plate to force the Gaurd into place on the knife, then cut the other bits and drilled a 3mm hole in each and used an abrafile, some warding and needle files to shape the holes to the tang of the knife.

p1010088small2uz.jpg

After this I fitted the component parts of the knife to the tang using epoxy, this time the center bar was wound down below the gaurd to start of with whilst I started to compress the parts into place on the tang of the knife.

p1010089small8uk.jpg

After 16 hours in the press I took the knife out, the resin had set and I could now go to town and start to shape the handle (as you can see here it need it) :D

p1010092small4ju.jpg

I used a rasp and metal files to do the shaping whilst the blade was inserted into compressed cardboard and clamped into a multi positional vice.

p1010094small6iv.jpg

Then once I had a rough shape I started to go down through the many different grits of paper to start finishing it. This was 150 grit.

p1010095small2xb.jpg

This was after 600 grit

p1010096small2us.jpg

and so on and so forth untill I ended up with something that looked reasonable :D

leon-1

Right Folks this is a seperate thread so that anyone that wishes to know how I made the Scandi is welcome, all the best to anyone that wants to know and any probs give me a yell and I would be quite happy to help.

All the best, Leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE