The famous Spacemonkey Hammock Bow knot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Well a while ago I mentioned that I hang my hammock with a simple single bow at each end. Well I finally got around to taking a pic to prove it thus:

DSC00100small.jpg

and a close up:

DSC00101small.jpg

As can be seen, the lines are passed around the poor unsuspecting tree at chest height and carried UNDER each other then tied in a simpe bow. The hammock is then unrolled and the other end tied the same to a tree approx three strides away ( I have long legs, adjust to suit various degrees of dwarfism). You then adjust the position and tension and re-tie using the same bows at each end. That's it. Simple and very quick and easy. Quick release is simplicity itself, and then you just roll up the hammock along the straps to the other end then release that bow too. Job done.

DSC00025_small.jpg

This is how I always hang my hammock and it has never even come close to 'letting me down'. The tension of the hammock holds you in place and the bow is merely to stop the straps sliding around the tree, as there's no real pull on the knot itself. Tied in this manner the hammock will barely rock and is super stable if you practice gymnastics in your sleep. It is worth mentioning that I prefer a tight hammock as opposed to a droopy one.

For more pictures it's off to the gallery as Tony Hart would say: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1713

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Damascus recently showed me another way to tie up my hennessy...with a slip knot :eek: .
it works absolutely fine,
though i have to say i am from the "tie knots in it till theres no rope left" school of thought!
silly really i've done a climbing course etc but I'm always paraniod about the hammock falling! :rolleyes:

I have no doubt at all that your knot works well!
it's the same way i tie my MoD hammock/stretcher though if i have spare i'll go around the tree twice.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I must admit that although i was well trained in knots in the scouts etc and can still tie some mean knots, for most appications I find bows and slip knots perfectly workable. Even my shoelaces are always tied with slip knot!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
though i have to say i am from the "tie knots in it till theres no rope left" school of thought!
silly really i've done a climbing course etc but I'm always paraniod about the hammock falling! :rolleyes:

I take it from the above that they didn't talk about how knots effect breaking strains on ropes then! lol :lmao: and also that different knots effect the rope differently, for examlpe a bowline reduces the strength of the ropes at the point it is tied to 65% however a double fig8 only reduces it to 75%....on the other hand a bowline can be tied faster so it's all a compromise. Certainly lots of knots are not always a good idea ;)

I use the tree huggers that came with my hennessey and have added a snaplink crab at each end, I then use an Apline hitch to secure the hammock line and finish it with a daisy chain...this works well for me but is a little overkill I have to admit :D

I have used the same bow method Spacemonkey uses on occasions for other things and can concur that it works just fine and dandy :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I take it from the above that they didn't talk about how knots effect breaking strains on ropes then! lol and also that different knots effect the rope differently, for examlpe a bowline reduces the strength of the ropes at the point it is tied to 65% however a double fig8 only reduces it to 75%....on the other hand a bowline can be tied faster so it's all a compromise. Certainly lots of knots are not always a good idea

oh, don't remind me :rolleyes: ...i try to forget the technical stuff!
and in the words of austin powers......

Austin: Oh, no, I've gone cross-eyed.
Basil: I suggest you don't worry about those things and just enjoy yourself.
[to camera]
Basil: That goes for you all, too.
:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE