The emergency services numbers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
I started looking into the powers of 112 and came up with quite a lot of interesting bits and bobs which I compiled into an article. Did you know you can text it for instance?

http://blog.artandscienceofsurvival.c om/2013/08/what-is-emergency-services-number.html

If anyone knows of any other countries it works in, please let me know and I'll update the map.

Cheers
Hi Steve
Works in Scotland LOL
A wee vid and Pdf telling you about it
[video=youtube;XPZv_8dABfU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded& v=XPZv_8dABfU[/video]
http://www.112.ie/Registering_your_mobile_phone/143#.UgiEtm3OC9V
Sure there is a few thread on this
Bob

Last edited:

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
You can also text 999 but ONLY if you have pre- registered your telephone by texting 'register' to 999 and following the instructions.
Useful if you can only get a weak signal to send a text but not strong enough to phone.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
You can text 999 in this country too, but again you need to register first by sending the word register to 999. If you register for one you've registered for the other.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Unfortunately, a couple of inaccuracies in that video.

In the UK, the text 999 and 112 are the same service.

IIRC in the US 911 and 112 will also both connect you to the same service. It's not really a new service per se; rather an attempt to standardize the number so travelers will eventually not have to learn a new one as they move around.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...If anyone knows of any other countries it works in, please let me know and I'll update the map..."

Hungary like all EU countries directs calls to 112 to the emergency switchboard. However you speed things along (in theory) by calling a number specific to the service you require.

104 - ambulance & emergency medical services,
105 - fire-brigade, rescue services, civil protection,
107 - police.

I have lived here for six years and I have no idea what 'civil protection' might cover. :)

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Hungary like all EU countries directs calls to 112 to the emergency switchboard. However you speed things along (in theory) by calling a number specific to the service you require.

104 - ambulance & emergency medical services,
105 - fire-brigade, rescue services, civil protection,
107 - police.

I have lived here for six years and I have no idea what 'civil protection' might cover. :)

civil protection would be similar to civil defence/home guard/national guard/emergency management, i believe.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
civil protection would be similar to civil defence/home guard/national guard/emergency management, i believe.

Not sure about there but here National Guard is the same as your Territorial Army (except that ours also includes an Air Force National Guard) They don't have an emergency number.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

I checked, the civil defence people deal with catastrophes and disasters such as forest fires, floods, earthquakes and industrial accidents. It has been a long while since we've had a really big earthquake however they have been kept busy with the other items in their brief. Presumably if you dial 112 and report a river of toxic sludge destroying your village they are the guys (and gals) who get the call.

The home guard are actually the neo-fascists, they were banned recently so they probably don't have a number anymore. :)

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Thanks, I didn't know that 112 worked in so many countries!

In Germany you can use 110 for an emergency police call.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE