The dark side

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Well I have joined the dark side. I have a new apple iBook and it is fantastic. The stuff it will do and the little features make it so much better than my old pc.

ibook2.jpg

that's my 20gig iPod next to the iBook which currently holds 2314 songs which will take 6.1 days to listen to! Oh and it's not half full yet.

Join the dark side resistance is futile.

Bill

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Welcome to "where the sun do shine" more like :eek:):

Congratulations tenbears10 on a very nice choice. That is a very nifty set up and will have plenty of portable power for most anything.

And you remember those things called 'viruses' and trojans' :yikes:

Goodbye :wave: :wave: Last time I had a virus on my Mac was over 5 years ago (of course a silly MS Office macro :wink:. Of course I never open dodgy attachments to emails but having basically no Mac virus/ trojans helps).

I don't know how much you know about Macs but one thing is for sure, there are always plenty of people out their in the community who will help you out with any queries.

Here are a the main Mac sites which I use everyday:

Apple - May seem obvious but seriously Apple have a great web site with tons of info which is pretty intuitive to use and excellent Support section ( Discussions section noted below. They have info on all models, specs etc etc. Most of the time you will use the Mac OS X Software Update feature for automatic and safe updating but it is useful to either get them as a d/l or for other stuff.

MacNN - Great Mac news site which is good for everyday updates, regular reviews, news, forum etc.

MacCentral - Another great Mac news site which is also good for everyday updates, news, forum etc.

VersionTracker - There are many great apps for Macs now and this is the best place to find out about them and pick up the latest updates etc. Check out the comments for very useful feedback with no bs from real users.

MacInTouch - One of the longest running Mac sites and THE place to go if you have a problem or want to find out about updates, recent issues or any problem you have. Very well run with lots of user feedback.

MacFixit - More of the same. Very good for finding out about any bugs, issues etc. Need to register for details but general site is very useful.

Apple - Discussions - Seriously good Apple official forums. Any issue will be found here and many many people willing and offering help and advice. Select the iBook section for you and the iPod one.

MacUser UK - Web site of the main UK Mac magazine. Good for UK related headlines and also good review site. Need to register but free.

mac OS X hints - When you want to role your sleeves up and play around with the real power of the Mac OS with it's UNIX core this is the place. Also great for useful hints etc.

Mac Rumors - For all the latest news and gossip of what is hot and rumours of future products :)

IMG (Inside Mac Games) - Probably the best Mac gaming web site. Got stuck or can't figure it out? Check out the really great forums. Lots of previews etc.

MacGamer - Another very good Mac gaming web site. Forums good here too.

iPodlounge - Excellent site for the iPod. Again, great community on the forums.

Well, that should get you set for a Mac-tastic time mate. :wink:

If you have any problems then feel free to email me :) I know there are other guys here using Macs too.

Cheers

Simon

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Thanks Simon. I've spent quiet a lot of time on ipodlounge alerady and I will bookmark the other stuff you suggest. Cheers

Tom were shall I start? The best bit is you can just use it as a hard drive to store files and photos or even backup your system. Oh and it is twice the size of the pc hardrive (it was quite old). It has a calender and address book which sync automatically when you connect it to the mac. I'm trying to get it so I can play it in the car and then I will never be stuck with chewed tapes again.

Bill

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
get a new BMW 1 serise and it has an ipod doc..

were you looking to get on of those cup holder ipod docks or wire it in yourself cos i can sort you out with instructions for wireing it in to your stero..

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Pop one of these on tenbears10:

prod_itrip_a.jpg

Works well from reviews I have read and no wires. Also use on any stereo system or radio which picks up FM signal:

prod_iTrip_tilt_sml.jpg

Read about them here:

Griffin Technology - iTrip

Recent review of 2 options including the iTrip here:

MacNN - Review: iPod FM transmitter round-up

And the MacUser UK Review ( a bit old as the UK version works fine in UK now but still a good review)

MacUser UK - iTrip Review

Check out eBay UK as there are usually some there.

Very neat FM solution. However if you want the best solution sort out a direct cable connection like tomtom suggests. Some car stereos have sound in sockets.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
they are technically illegal (to stop pirate radio broadcasting) but you wont get pulled for it. Opinion seems divided on ipodlounge moonraker. Some people seem to think they are rubbish and others think they are fine. But wires are best if you can do it yourself without buying loads of expensive bits (which Tom says is possible) so I will give it a go that way first.

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE