The burning question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Righty as I'm planning a summer of joining a couple of mates in the deepest darkest West Mids I've been thinking about ways of stopping the blood sucking vampires from pinching all the fun out of it. (Er Mozzies here not the lads I'm going with that is.)

I know Old Uncle Ray in the past has mentioned about burning different types of wood, plants, natives on the fire to stop the little bleeders from ruining a nice evening of Bushcraft TV :campfire:.

I'm looking for suggestions on the best type of stuff to throw on a fire to keep them at bay.

Now in fairness the challenge is to find plants / wood that is readily available over here and I don't think lobbing on one of dunlop's finest is really going to go down well with the crowd I'm with.

Although it might take the edge of Martin K9's coffee.

Any help appreciated.

:cool:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If you are watching a bit of bushcraftTV then in all liklihood, any smoke produced will help to keep the worst of the swarm at bay. Same might be said for a little breeze too, but the important part of the phrase is "worst" - there is always a determined few percent who do their utmost to make your like a misery - and only when those few are joined by the easily swayed majority, does the evening become unbearable.

I'm normally an insect magnet, but I've had a modicum of success when using the anti-mossy patches (the marmite ones :yuck:) and the Avon "Skin So Soft" lotion - but theres always something around that likes the taste of whatever I use.
So I often try to sit on the edge of the smoke plume and keep covered up.

There are certain fungi that are supposed to keep insects at bay, Cramp balls, Chagga and Horses hoof to name a few but these are too precious as fire lighting resources to me to use for insect repelling duties.

ATB

Ogri the trog

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... I've been thinking about ways of stopping the blood sucking vampires from pinching all the fun out of it. (Er Mozzies here not the lads I'm going with that is.)

A healthy level of Vitanin B has been beneficial to some. Brewers yeast is a catch all - and regular 'proper' beer and ale drinkers seem to suffer less bites

I know drinking beer doesn't fit this ...

I'm looking for suggestions on the best type of stuff to throw on a fire to keep them at bay.

... criteria. But I though that you wouldn't object :cool: .

Now in fairness the challenge is to find plants / wood that is readily available over here and I don't think lobbing on one of dunlop's finest is really going to go down well with the crowd I'm with.

:yikes:

:nono:

:Wow:

:naughty:

:deal:

:lmao:

Although it might take the edge of Martin K9's coffee.

More milk for table two ....

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire

There are certain fungi that are supposed to keep insects at bay, Cramp balls, Chagga and Horses hoof to name a few but these are too precious as fire lighting resources to me to use for insect repelling duties.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Cheers fella it was pretty much that sort of thing i had in mind. The woodland by me is pretty rich in cramp balls and other fungus I'm guessing a smoulder / smudge fire is probably the was foreward rather than a full on bushcraft bonfire.

I was wondering about types of green wood as well perhaps?

I was considering different types of fire lay as well. Most of the fires we use tend to be the contained alter type thing.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Anything that throws off smoke will work but you don't want that too close to you. If you gather lots of cramp balls get them going with a wee spark and let them idle away it should help. If you set a few of these smouldering around your camp it will either keep them out or trap them in with you! Won't be an issue with a fire going as well though...

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
If you have these nearby, they are excellent. Used by the sami for centuries and by myself for years.
2009-07-15_m8pswk9.jpg

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Anything that throws off smoke will work but you don't want that too close to you. If you gather lots of cramp balls get them going with a wee spark and let them idle away it should help. If you set a few of these smouldering around your camp it will either keep them out or trap them in with you! Won't be an issue with a fire going as well though...

Will have a raid of my local woodland and see what I can find. I know there were alot up there not long ago so we can give this a try next time out.

Chad,

Not sure I responded to your last PM buddy.

My works computer keeps locking me out when I try and open my PMs so if you need to get in touch matey I will pick it up when I get home buddy.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
If you have these nearby, they are excellent. Used by the sami for centuries and by myself for years.
2009-07-15_m8pswk9.jpg

I can see it's a bracket fungus but is the type important?

Sorry if it sounds a daft question but what type of tree is it growing on and do I need to dry the fungus out or process it before I use it?

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
We always used to use conifer - well leylandii (SP?) wether it worked or not im not entirely sure, you get a fairly light smoke from a few small branches which smells relatively nice and kinda feels like it should work...if you know what i mean.
And of course its 'orable stuff which is quite common and burnings about all it deserves!

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Never had much luck using smoke as a deterrent. Found they usually just carry on regardless, with a small breeze, it tends to move the smoke around, giving the wee blighters opperchancities to sneak in while it's not looking. Maybe a lot of smoke would help, but I'm not sure that's going to be that good for you.

I'd ask a question, what is more important to you :

Finding a bushcraft way to keep them away but accept you may get munched
or
Find a non bushcraft way (insect repellent etc) and increase your chances of not being eaten?

If the former, good luck! Try using lots of leafy twigs, or sphagnum moss, anything green over hot embers will create a lot of smoke. Avoid anything known to be particulary toxic like Elder or Yew etc. If the latter, the 3 things I'd reccomend are: Avon Skin So Soft (dry oil spray), Smidge or Autan. Used the first two and but Autan(yet) My review of Smidge is found here

If it was me, I'd be going with a bottle of either Smidge, or Autan(once I've tested it) Then I'd know I'd be bug free - of note Ticks are meant to be repelled by it too, not tested that yet, although I need to hack back a load of bracken this week...so that be a good time to see.

Cheers,

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Will have a raid of my local woodland and see what I can find. I know there were alot up there not long ago so we can give this a try next time out.

Chad,

Not sure I responded to your last PM buddy.

My works computer keeps locking me out when I try and open my PMs so if you need to get in touch matey I will pick it up when I get home buddy.

No worries, I doubt it had much relevance anyway...on a side note I'm starting on your sheath tonight and the knife will be shaving sharp soon. Definately will be ready for the next RC meet for you to try out. Pics of the process to follow soon as per usual.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I'm what you woul;d call a insect magnet, smoke dose nothing for me.

The one and only thing I've found works great is 100% deet.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Awesome thanks Nag that was a great response mate. I'm trying Nordic Summer or ManWood as we've nick named it. I've been using jungle formula insect repellent but having just got back from Greece it never seemed to bother them. Used it in the spray, gel and the wipes but still got chobbled. I know some of the lads were saying that last time they were out in the wood they got more abuse than an England back 4 on Sunday.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
QUOTE=Muddy Boots;710434] I know some of the lads were saying that last time they were out in the wood they got more abuse than an England back 4 on Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Funnily enough where the Nordic Summer was applied no bites at all.... the little blighters bit through me trousers and t-shirt though :mosquitos:[

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I can see it's a bracket fungus but is the type important?

Sorry if it sounds a daft question but what type of tree is it growing on and do I need to dry the fungus out or process it before I use it?

This sort is called Rökticka (Smoketicka) in Swedish. It is claimed to be superior ut I have tried other sorts. Use the ones that grow on dead trees.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks like our tukey tail fungi? Not tried any particular fungi my self but i am sure the smoke is the key.

First of all choose your camp spot carefully, away from standing water or muddy bogs, high up rather than lower down for the breeze.
I use avon for starters and then move onto a nasty DEET solution if things get bad.

The other important thing is clothing. Going into the woods in shorts and a tshirt is just asking for it. Loose long clothing can be cooler than stripping off and letting the little bleeders in. The other thing about long clothing is you can apply the nasty DEET to clothing as opposed to skin which is allways a winner.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
or just have nasty blood cos i go camping and walk through moskito flight paths and what not and ave never been bitton yet i have even been to the west coast of scotland in summer and still not bitton nut hey maybe my day will come and it will be revenged

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
or just have nasty blood cos i go camping and walk through moskito flight paths and what not and ave never been bitton yet i have even been to the west coast of scotland in summer and still not bitton nut hey maybe my day will come and it will be revenged

Could be because your blood is 37.5% proof that the jiggers don't like suckin on ya.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE