The birth of my first Scandi...

• Hey Guest, We've had to cancel our 2020 Summer BushMoot PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Hi everyone...

...I have recently just finished my first scandi, and thought I would document its birth. Please excuse the terrible photo quality as they were taken on my phone. It's not the first blade I have made, but to be honest it has probably been the most enjoyable. It started of as a peice of scrap 01 which went through the usual HT (58HRC-ish) in the garden forge/fire pit and then the Aga. Dont know why but I dropped the point slightly, so this was purely aesthetic and not scandi at all...

So having made the blade I set off into the woods on the farm with my 2 favourite bush-buddies, and they found me this...a fallen oak tree...

Out came the folding saw, and I was left with this...Enough for the handle and a few spoons...

Quickly roughed out the handle with an axe and mora and drilled the slot for the tang. At this point, i etched out some grooves in the tang to help the araldite 'bite'.

Then onto the final shaping...

It took me a while to work out the final shape. Just couldnt seem to get it to feel 'right' in the hand. Finally got it right though and here is the finished result...

I thoroughly enjoyed making this one, despite its relative simplicity. Im already planning the next one...

As for the blade itself, it takes a fine edge and manages to maintain it remarkably well. I also managed to avoid the strange patina effect I somehow got with previous blades...I must be learning something!

Many thanks for looking.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
cheers Dave, the bolster is made from copper, black scrap leather and an alloy of 75% copper and 25% nickel that were kicking around the house. There will be more, as well as some bone, in the next handle...

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
fair point Barn Owl, I dont even know why i dropped the point on this. I often think drop points look more 'tactical', so totally against what a scandi should look like (IMO)...needless to say the next one will NOT be a drop point.
paul if ypu decide that you want to put a leather spacer or two in the next one let me no bud, and i should be able to find you a few peices i think;)

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good work Paul. I like the way you went about using scrap and foraged materials.
Handle looks nice too. I drop my blades just slightly for opening nettles stems, bunnies ect. Just a couple of mm blended in with the rest makes a difference to the way it works and looks.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Thanks Addo...i to make do with whatever I have around me instead of buying specific materials where possible. The knife before this had the pins from a door hinge as scale pins...