The BCUK kit buy / mend & make do cycle is in force...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I prefer the DIY threads for the inspiration they provide. If I'd never see Lawrence's knife and sheath tutorial I'd never have done my own. Now I've done a dozen or more. And a couple of sticks. Hmmm, maybe I should post some pictures....

I still can't work a sewing machine though (or a camera :rolleyes:) but that's on the list - I can't afford to buy most of the kit I want to own :D

Rat

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I did some of my growing up in a remote spot in East Africa. I learnt early on that if something broke, you had to mend it or do without. If you mended something, you had to make it better than it was before so it wouldn't break again. If you needed something, you had to make it from what you did have.

When I choose new stuff, I always consider how easily can I mend it should it break. (eg wood vs composite axe handles).

I think "make do & mend" is an essential skill and mindset for anyone who is intent on going more than a stones throw from civilisation.

Z

Spot on Zingmo.:D

leon-1

It seems as if there is a cycle with the types of posts we get on BCUK, for me I love it when the mend and make do cycle is in full force, sadly at the moment it's kit threads that are dominating the main topics, this should clear up in a few weeks.

I for one am looking forward to having the DIY threads back, which do you prefer?

I am not so sure, there have been many questions (either by PM or in forum) on how to do certain things. There appear to be a lot of people starting leathercraft projects of one form or another.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I sit in both camps on this too. I confess to buying kit and reading about equipment etc etc, I suppose it goes with the territory.

I also Like to read about the old surplus stuff people make use of and in fairness have took quite an interest in this just recently.

As regards making do and mending and making ones own. I like to faff around I am not very good at things like this and can often spend more money trying to make something if it means buying items in, only to discard it as I am not happy with what I have done.
To be honest some of the folk on here are so good at things like this I would feel a bit silly bringing out my efforts in front of them. That said I do enjoy the relaxation of doing these things. Thus far I have done a few spoons, a kuksa, and some leather bags.

I guess both new , old , and made or mended kit has its place in most of our lives.

Andy

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Good link cheers. goodjob

I also look at kit i'm thinking of buying with a view on how easy would be to repair.
While i'm a self-confessed kit junkie, i do like my own made gear. Just not had much chance over hte past few months to actually make any :eek:

bramble

Mar 4, 2008
Shropshire
much prefer DIY...more satisfaction and fun..the twiglets and I love learning new and old arts and skills. Keep on with the D I Y =)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE