The 3 fires challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
trying to alleviate some lock down boredom (even more bored as I've sustained an injury to my leg, swollen a bit shin splints I think)

so I was thinking of setting up a BCUK challenge if folk fancy it

The challenge is to create 3 fires from the following 3 methods:

Magnification (i.e. fresnel lens, glasses)

flint and steel

Bow drill

all in as quick a time as possible. Now I know that's going to be hard to adjudicate so as a forum we will have to use our own discretion and trust. When I say create fire, I really mean create flame. So no other need than have a tinder bundle ready. It has to be as a continuous effort so no pauses between methods. You can enter multiple times there's no limit on that, hopefully to encourage folk to hone there skills.

I will think of a prize for the quickest time but most likely the last file knife that I made - Recycled file knife

hopefully that will spur on a few entries. I will think of another prize for style points if people create a nice video edit of there attempt.

Video entries are welcome but I was hoping that folk will at least include a few pics of there attempt. I'll edit the OP with a leaderboard if entries come in thick and fast.

cheers and good luck!

Leaderboard

1. Gra_farmer - time 2:34

Last edited:

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Love it Keith! Great videos. Especially liked the glasses and the candle ones, I'll be keeping them in mind :)

Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest on this one so I'll think of some revisions....

• Love
Reactions: Le Loup

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I'll take up this challenge, but the hand drill is a pain....just to check, is this all one after the other on film or individually and timed?

I will be able to do, 3 (4 if you count Flint and steel) in about 3 mins (or less), to flame back to back....the hand drill will kill the time though. Will dig out the video camera.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
cheers for the feedback folks. Wow yes can't believe I missed off flint and steel!!! Well hows about a 3 fire challenge, lens/magnification, flint and steel, bow drill? I can definitely cover that, Keith can, should be pretty inclusive for everyone hopefully??

I was thinking all one after the other, but it doesn't have to be filmed or anything, just a few pics or whatever will do, I'll take it on good faith the time it was finished in

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
So had a dry run of the flint and steel and magnification 40 seconds to flame for both combined, using hay nests.

I will do the challenge on the weekend when someone can film me.

I really like the idea of this, @punkrockcaveman , I may up the level, by adding one stick fire and refraction ember (parabolic mirror)

Last edited:

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Brilliant gra_farmer! Even if someone just takes a few pics of you having a go that would be awesome, I'll probably be doing the same myself this weekend!

40 seconds sounds bloomin fast! Ideal weather for the magnification too :)

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Brilliant gra_farmer! Even if someone just takes a few pics of you having a go that would be awesome, I'll probably be doing the same myself this weekend!

40 seconds sounds bloomin fast! Ideal weather for the magnification too :)
magnification only took about 3 seconds, the sun was quite strong this morning and so easy, the flint and steel was lit with the first hit, and then had a nest in each hand and just waved....done.

I have an old projector lense that would work like magic, I'll try that on the weekend.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Just finished filming, 5min 10secs with standard bow drill, mag and flint and steel, blown to flame. Back to back

My first try with an socket bow, mag and flint and steel was under 3 mins, but most may find that cheating.

Just need to make sure the footage is okay, as I was on my own. Then I'll post.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Just finished filming, 5min 10secs with standard bow drill, mag and flint and steel, blown to flame. Back to back

My first try with an socket bow, mag and flint and steel was under 3 mins, but most may find that cheating.

Just need to make sure the footage is okay, as I was on my own. Then I'll post.

Nicely done! I'll give it a crack later today!

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
So I gave it a bash last night. 4 minutes 26 seconds!!! Failed with the fresnel lens though, so it doesn't count :( it was about 7pm in my south facing back garden so not great. I'll have to create some time in the middle of the day to increase my chances!

What did work really well was getting the ember for the bow drill going, leaving it to establish whilst moving onto the flint and steel ember, and again leaving that to establish whilst working on the lens. I think I could have gone sub 3:30 if I had better conditions for the fresnel lens. I'm not very experienced with the lens either so this challenge will be good for me!

Reactions: gra_farmer

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
So I gave it a bash last night. 4 minutes 26 seconds!!! Failed with the fresnel lens though, so it doesn't count :( it was about 7pm in my south facing back garden so not great. I'll have to create some time in the middle of the day to increase my chances!

What did work really well was getting the ember for the bow drill going, leaving it to establish whilst moving onto the flint and steel ember, and again leaving that to establish whilst working on the lens. I think I could have gone sub 3:30 if I had better conditions for the fresnel lens. I'm not very experienced with the lens either so this challenge will be good for me!
What is the time limit on this, as I will try and get this time lower, on my bow drill..... I found that between the two ones I filmed, the first was quicker for the lense and the flint and steel, wasted time second time round.

good challenge this, just finding it hard to do between work and the family.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I'm completely the same. I think maybe the end of June is a good time limit? There's a few weekends for folks to nail it down and have a few goes at it.

I had to restart a few times with the spindle slipping out as I was rushing, until I chilled out a bit, somethings you can't rush!

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Sorry it has taken me so long to upload the video, it is not great....maybe I could do with media training

That's a cracking job mate.
Look like you had ideal conditions as well.
I don't think I saw you use the Egyptian bow-drill, or did I miss something?
Was your hearth pine with a hazel spindle?
Speedy fires though, I think that'll be hard to beat, well done!

Last edited:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
That's a cracking job mate.
Look like you had ideal conditions as well.
I don't think I saw you use the Egyptian bow-drill, or did I miss something?
Was your hearth pine with a hazel spindle?
Speedy fires though, I think that'll be hard to beat, well done!
Thank you. This was the second video, the first was highlighted to be cheating, as the Egyptian bow-drill is sooo easy. I have a wrap up video that shows some of the kit.

As the kit, your correct pine hearth and hazel/kentish cob nut spindle. I prefer willow for both, I can get a really good ember in seconds with willow, but could not find it....i have since made a new kit but no time to film.

I will redo this again at a later date, and know that I can get to the 3 min mark, plus panic set in early as it was a timed challenge....

Reactions: Brizzlebush

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
That's awesome, brilliant video! I believe you could well get that three minute mark too, thanks for taking part! I need some sunshine to give it another go now.

I'll let the comp run to the end of July, but the prize is all yours if no one else has taken part by that point, hopefully we can get a few people having a go at this for a bit of fun!

That's some chunky hearth board! I had the same problem with the spindle slipping out, I blame it all on rushing, crazy how much pressure a camera makes!

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
That's awesome, brilliant video! I believe you could well get that three minute mark too, thanks for taking part! I need some sunshine to give it another go now.

I'll let the comp run to the end of July, but the prize is all yours if no one else has taken part by that point, hopefully we can get a few people having a go at this for a bit of fun!

That's some chunky hearth board! I had the same problem with the spindle slipping out, I blame it all on rushing, crazy how much pressure a camera makes!
Agreed, the panic sets in....also to much commentry, why was I wasting time talking and showing stuff to the camera???

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE