That feeling....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
...is back.

Despite now being in madrid, and not posting on my favorite forum for almost a year now (but i haven't been involved for 2), it's hit me. I've been city-dwelling, my knives haven't been touched, i haven't smelled a woodfire, looked up through the leaves, etc etc etc.

I now have a real job with real money (teaching); (this may impress those who remember me), i also have three knives, including my bison which is in a nasty condition. I realise i could have found the answer somewhere on the forum, but i also wanted to say hello againa...hello!

I have an american friend in the, he used to go hunting, camping, walking, bushing in general, and we both have that urge to leave the city. And i can't do it without my bison. So, how can i remove the rust and bring it back to glory? It's not deep-set and no flakes, just taint. I oiled it when i last sheathed it last, thankfully.

Will my ever-beloved starky-sharp do the trick?

Regards to you all!

Jake

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Jake - welcome back !!

Would a fine wire wool do it, then a good polish afterwards ??

Maybe some piccies would be useful to show us how bad it is.

Rich

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hey Jake,

Fine wet & dry photomounted on a flat board will take that right off - say 600 grit

Move on to some 1,500 grit and a good sharpen after - sorted

Red

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Great stuff. I'll get on it! No camera unfortunately, but i think suggested techniques will get it sorted out.

Thing is, it's not only my knife that's rusty, i think i may have lost my touch. I'll give it a crack....

Thanks!

Jake

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Before you get into the wet'n'dry, you could always strop on leather coated with autosol paste....and I don't mean just the edge. I've restored a few in this way and it can leave the remnants of a slight patina which I like on a user. If you want the full job, fine grade wet'n'dry will do it as others say..

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
:D Good to see you back dude and I'm pleased to hear your doing well over in Spain.

Starkie paste might do it depending on the level of the rust, its mildly abrasive.
If not then high grade (2000+) would be the way to go!

Cheers,
TT

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Jake

Before you start on wet & dry etc you might want to give it a go with an ink eraser, or just WD40 or similar on a cloth, give it a bit of a soak them leave it a spell and have another go.

Oh, and welcome back!

Dave

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You were one of the guys I was contemplating a few weeks back, one of those that has dropped off the boards and I suddenly realise I hadn't seen post in ages. Then, you pop back up again! I miss that avatar, looks like Satriani to me although I could be wrong. If your skills are a little rusty, well, it's just like riding a bike isn't it. It'll come back.

Nice to know you're doing well.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Spam, i might be wrong, but i'm pretty sure it's Jaco Pastorius (1951-1987), once of 'Weather Report' (Jazz/Rock fusion) wonderous composer and master of the fretless bass! Widely regarded as a pioneer in the 'Bass solo' stakes and major influence to many including Marcus Miller and Gary Mounfield.

Oh yes, WD-40 get's my vote as well!;)

beach bum

On a new journey
Jul 15, 2004
cardiff
Hi there Jake, I mentioned your name only the other day on the other forum, good to hear from you. :D

regards

beach bum

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE