Thanks to the unsung heros

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
First of all I hope I've put this in the right place. Today whilst going for a wander over the malverns with my family my 5 year old daughter pointed something out I thought worth a mention.
When we go for a walk we always take a small plastic bag to pick up any rubbish we may come across as we move along (I don't want to turn this into a rant, but I think litterbugs should be dragged to the nearest town centre and some one let the cat out of the bag:AR15firin), anyway whilst on the top enjoying the view my little one says "what's that?".A quick scan with the bino's and I reply "a can poppit". She then asks why do people drop litter and why is no one picking it up as they walk past, as I'm trying to formulate an answer a guy in a brown t-shirt walking a dog with two small children in tow and the rest of his family bends down shakes out what's left and carries it away. My little ones next statement gave me pause to think "is that man a hero? He deserves a medal for that".
Now I don't know what prompted this reaction but I just wanted to say thanks to all the "heros" out there.
And if you were the guy walking over British camp with your family my little girl spotted the act and named you. As a parent I send out my thanks for the example and helping to reaffirm the lessons we've been trying to teach.
To all the unsung heros out there:You_Rock_.

Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Great post and agree 100%.....but it's British camp....could get yourself into lot's of trouble saying 'English' :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That does indeed make you think that there is hope for the human race.

I think Uncle Ray made a similar point once about people despoiling the natural beauty that they came to see; his take is to always set an example to others and that man did exactly that to his children and your daughter.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I filled a large bin-liner with rubbish in my local nature reserve yesterday. The firemen I called out to control a peat fire took it with them so I didn't have to lug it home! It saddens me that although the area looks a little better now, it won't stay that way. I'm not out for any glory and I'm not the only one that picks up litter from that location but I can't understand why people would want to come to such an amazingly pretty place and leave rubbish behind

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I'm not out for any glory and I'm not the only one that picks up litter from that location but I can't understand why people would want to come to such an amazingly pretty place and leave rubbish behind

It will be the same people who don't clear up after their dog, throw their rubbish out of the car window, park in disabled bays, park on double yellows to go to the cashpoint and just generally go through life without giving a damn about anything other than their immediate gratification.

These people really don't think; and I seriously mean that. Their actions are just automatic conditional responses.

"Nail 'em up I say!"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE