Thanks Button

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've just been over on BcUSA again, mainly because it's so quiet here with lots of people at the Moot.

I couldn't help thinking how useful the "Thanks" button is that they have on there.

There are many times that I read a post, think "that's good" but don't have anything useful to add the the thread so don't leave a comment.

Over there I just click the button and it leaves a simple message of appreciation.

The Following User Says Thank You to (Insert Name) For This Useful Post: Then a list of those that have thanked the poster.

It seems like a nice way to leave feedback without being as open to abuse as the old Rep system.

Just a thought.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I can't stand it Gary. It clutters up the thread and is used by people to be rude as well, without actually having to post anything. It all seems a bit brown-nosey for my tastes with a build up of sycophants around the prominent posters and Mods. Might suit the US forum, but I'd hate to see it here. The rep system was pretty much the same.

I like to thank people by posting in the thread. Much more personal and keeps it moving.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Now if there was a Thanks button on here now. You would get people thanking you for your post (those that agree), and people thanking me for my post (those that don't). All well and good, but you lose peoples detailed opinion then and a discussion or conversation is lost.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Now if there was a Thanks button on here now. You would get people thanking you for your post (those that agree), and people thanking me for my post (those that don't). All well and good, but you lose peoples detailed opinion then and a discussion or conversation is lost.

I'm not sure you do, look at the "French Windlass" thread for example, currently 266 views and only 13 replies, 4 of those by me.

That's fairly typical of many threads here that don't contain sharp or shiny kit.

Not much detailed opinion, discussion or conversation going on there then is there.

Patrick McGlinchy mentioned the same sort of thing when I met him last. Kit gets far more discussion than anything really bushcrafty and that is a poor show when you consider some of the fantastic work he posts up on here.

It would just be nice sometimes to be able to pass on a little appreciation even if people can't be bothered to actually make a post.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
What we do need is a whole load of facepalm emoticons.

sorry, i couldn't resisit it.

in all seriousness i do agree with both of your points of view on this one, i think it would be nice to be able to "thank" someone for a post, but i do think that it'd end up a bit cliquey. personally i think that it'd end in tears.

stuart

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm not sure you do, look at the "French Windlass" thread for example, currently 266 views and only 13 replies, 4 of those by me.

That's fairly typical of many threads here that don't contain sharp or shiny kit.

Not much detailed opinion, discussion or conversation going on there then is there.

Patrick McGlinchy mentioned the same sort of thing when I met him last. Kit gets far more discussion than anything really bushcrafty and that is a poor show when you consider some of the fantastic work he posts up on here.

It would just be nice sometimes to be able to pass on a little appreciation even if people can't be bothered to actually make a post.

In that respect it may be useful if the original poster doesn't think his posts are appreciated, and because of that fails to make many more useful posts. But I believe the negatives way outweigh the positives, and you do get those cliquey groups continually thanking the same people, and the system getting used to deride others by certain people thanking sarcastic posts against them. It's those instances (and there are loads over there), where it fails big time. I've even had PMs off people over there in the past judging me because I haven't 'thanked' enough people, and my thanks given was much lower than thanks recieved and that wasn't on. I even left and re-joined to leave all that behind.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire

i can see your point wayland, kit does get much more discussion on here than anything else, there's a perfectly simple reason for that though, people like to talk about kit. it is a crying shame that some outstanding posts, for example patricks posts about his beautifully crafted bushcraft items, do tend to get drowned out by the sheer weight of posts about shiny shiny thingamabobs, but we do already have a system to give people (and i'm sure that patrick must be one of these people) very high praise indeed by promoting their posts to articles on the main site. maybe we could have a system whereby we can nominate threads to be made into articles and then possibly a "thanks for this useful article" function. maybe that would strike a reasonable compromise between "thanks for this useful post" and nothing at all

stuart

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Maybe so, I don't know.

Cliques happen whatever you do, not much can change that. It's a shame the old system was abused by certain people but I didn't think it was all bad.

I don't think it's necessary to keep or record a "Score" on these sorts of things but a nice thought is always a pleasant gift.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The 'Thanks Button' feature may work when applied only to the original post and not to the replies within that thread. It is when people start thanking the replies that it all goes wrong and snidey.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I like that idea of just the first post being thanked, but then that idea came up at post 11, which would make that the post I would like, I also agree that it does clutter up the screen with a box of names under each post, I've not been long enough to notice cliques and don't tend to hit the thank thing but have never liked any of the rep type things on forums, don't really see a need for it, it doesn't take long to type a thank you?

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Interestingly, I read Gary's windlass post and found it very interesting. I guess I could have said that in the thread, even if it serves as nothing more than a bump. I often fave / subscribe to threads I haven't posted in too (got kit, idea and technique folders). But I guess that's a bit like blinking in the dark; only I know I'm doing it...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmmm.

The rep system was abused by a very, very small number of idiots; who, come to think on it don't post here now anyway :rolleyes:

I'm not quite a fan of the 'thanks' postscripts tbh; for all the reasons JD gives; but; and it's a big but, I do think that some acknowledgment is a very good thing :)
Could we not just have a star award thingie. If you like the post add one. ?
If you don't, since I suppose we have to be even handed, a red cross ? or a black dot ?
or better yet, just keep it really simple, you can only add or detract rep if you have rep.

That won't work either, that's what BB used to have before it was also sabotaged by those who should have known better.

You know what the answer is ? Folks need to get over their silence and just type in a quick note of appreciation. It's not hard, it's even easier than texting :D

I would like to see emoticons more along the lines of the ones that Wayland uses.

Actually, there's a good idea ......instead of a list of folks who thanked someone, how about a place to put up an emoticon after the post so that the thread doesn't get too cluttered and so that the OP feels appreciated :cool:

Would that work ? and can we get Admin to agree and sort it out for us ?

cheers,
Toddy

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Actually, there's a good idea ......instead of a list of folks who thanked someone, how about a place to put up an emoticon after the post so that the thread doesn't get too cluttered and so that the OP feels appreciated :cool:

But how about if someone puts up one of these after your post, just because they had a few bevs, are grumpy or just up for devilment...

:rolleyes: :sleeping::rofl::rant::vio::bluThinki:aargh4::buttkick::deadhorse::censored:

Not gonna make the OP feel appreciated really is it. Even though they are mostly mild.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
How about a "recommended button", but instead of changing the thread it appears as a recommendation in your profile. So when I view your profile I get to see the kind of things youre interested in and the OP gets a little message telling him/her they've been recommended.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
seesaw.gif
Yep. Emoticons can go both ways unfortunately.

I think the star rating has merit but I'm wary of negative feedback, I think that way lies madness...
canofworms.png

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
How about a "recommended button", but instead of changing the thread it appears as a recommendation in your profile. So when I view your profile I get to see the kind of things youre interested in and the OP gets a little message telling him/her they've been recommended.

now that's a superb idea, i like that a lot

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE