Thank you button

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yes those are good. The only downside is that they still require a separate post; again, needlessly upping both the post count and the thread length.

I'm wondering if were discussing different things here. Some are advocating a counter that sits in say the thread title showing the number of thanks with no extra posts showing?, and others (myself included) are worried that we would have tumbleweed boards of empty replies that disrupt the conversation?
Is this the case?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thank you for joining the conversation :) and the explanation.

For the folks who do post, having someone join in the conversation is very much a plus :) It means that they know that someone's actually paying a bit of attention. It keeps the whole thing fresh having perhaps a different view, or an additional comment that triggers another thought or bit of information. Just even to kind of get to know someone else, even virtually, is a gently sociable thing :)
We don't get that with a button click.....

Actually, some of us do get that with a button click. As you said, it's the thought that counts.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It would depend on how it would theoretically be implemented. If it was just a number at the top of the thread bar (which views kind of does already then I don't see it being a problem......

The one the OP referenced, BCUSA, has the thanks button on the same bar as the reply button. Then the names of those who' ve used it show up below that. If there are a large number of people "thanking" the poster, then that list of names may take up as much room as a separate post. But then again, if they had all had to post separately, it woulkd have taken up scads more room for nothing more than "Plus 1."

To be perfectly honest, all the talk here about it lessening conversation by giving a "lazy" option, just hasn't been the case there. The debates there rage on and questions and comments on reviews continue vibrantly.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well it seems reasonable to give them chance to reply themselves to me but whatever keeps you happy. :D

They have done, or at least one of them has. Don't forget the time diference though, I prefer not to wait overnight as I'm up on the forums often while y'all are in bed for the night.

I gotta admit I quite like the Thanks button on BCUSA and I don't think it detracts from the forum. I'm not really what could be classed as a lurker unless you look at how long I've been a member and compare it to my post count. I feel quite conscious of what I post and wouldn't really post a comment on a thread just saying thanks, but I would definitely use a thanks button...

May I ask ?

How come you'll both comment on a thread like this, but find it difficult to do so on the other ones ?

From my point of view, if you can join this conversation, then there's no reason why you can't join the others; no reason why you should not feel included, and no reason to remain silent.
Unlike a spoken conversation, all posts are 'heard', even when everyone's commenting at the same time.

cheers,
Toddy

Those that know me well know that I have no problem with speaking up and saying what I feel when I want to. (Those that know me also know that the previous statement is a fairly huge understatement!) :D

I felt the need to comment on this thread as it has been made clear that not commenting means I have absolutely no valid opinion ;). As a member for of the forum for 9 years, I can appreciate that I don't have a huge post count like many others and I will comment when I feel necessary or if my opinion is going to add something to the discussion...and of course if something I really, really need to add to the kit mountain is up for sale :lmao:

It's not that I feel uncomfortable giving my opinions or having a discussion on an open forum, nor that I find myself unable to articulate my opinions in a clear and cohesive manner. I do, however, find that sometimes written responses get taken out of context or carry a meaning that was perhaps not the intention of the poster. Where opinions are divided and a discussion ensues, it is by default that those most willing to get involved and speak up carry the most weight. I am not suggesting this is incorrect, it is just how it is. In an online world where post count is considered a measure of standing, those with the highest post counts can be starting the best threads, making the most incisive comments... or not.

If I replied to every thread I read to say thanks I would probably have a post count in the tens of thousands by now, I just don't. To suggest that all of us who do not reply could just start replying thanks and leave it at that is ridiculous, as the threads would lose their underlying direction and clarity. If that happened I would stop reading threads past the initial post rather than wade through a chorus of thanks with no meaning.

To echo Goatboy, I'm not overly fussed either way to be honest - it just means that on the few times I chime into a discussion, you know I've thought about what I want to say or am in a particularly chatty mood!

Given the topic, the only way to really know what those that do not comment think is to give them a button to press :p

Much love,

Neil

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Those that know me well know that I have no problem with speaking up and saying what I feel when I want to. (Those that know me also know that the previous statement is a fairly huge understatement!) :D

I felt the need to comment on this thread as it has been made clear that not commenting means I have absolutely no valid opinion ;). As a member for of the forum for 9 years, I can appreciate that I don't have a huge post count like many others and I will comment when I feel necessary or if my opinion is going to add something to the discussion...and of course if something I really, really need to add to the kit mountain is up for sale :lmao:

It's not that I feel uncomfortable giving my opinions or having a discussion on an open forum, nor that I find myself unable to articulate my opinions in a clear and cohesive manner. I do, however, find that sometimes written responses get taken out of context or carry a meaning that was perhaps not the intention of the poster. Where opinions are divided and a discussion ensues, it is by default that those most willing to get involved and speak up carry the most weight. I am not suggesting this is incorrect, it is just how it is. In an online world where post count is considered a measure of standing, those with the highest post counts can be starting the best threads, making the most incisive comments... or not.

If I replied to every thread I read to say thanks I would probably have a post count in the tens of thousands by now, I just don't. To suggest that all of us who do not reply could just start replying thanks and leave it at that is ridiculous, as the threads would lose their underlying direction and clarity. If that happened I would stop reading threads past the initial post rather than wade through a chorus of thanks with no meaning.

To echo Goatboy, I'm not overly fussed either way to be honest - it just means that on the few times I chime into a discussion, you know I've thought about what I want to say or am in a particularly chatty mood!

Given the topic, the only way to really know what those that do not comment think is to give them a button to press :p

Much love,

Neil

I for one think that was a well thought out cohesive post and enjoyed it. And we seem to agree with what's being said. I do try not to judge by post count though. Was once caught out very bonny by a new guy at the debating group in school. First time and a brilliant orator. Wiped the floor with me - but it was a pleasure having it done. He could tell you to go to hell in such a way that you looked forward to the trip. (Always preferred writing stuff to orating it though).

bearbait

I only post if I feel I have something to say. I don't read every thread; I skim some threads and I read some in detail; I save some threads for posterity and refer to them as the need arises. I value the comments made by many of the inhabitants here but don't feel I have to thank them all the time. Information, knowledge and experience is freely dispensed here without reservation, and somehow I feel that a "Thank You" button would diminish that.

I would NOT like to see a 'Thank You' button. When we're chatting round the/a campfire - which is what I believe this site is really all about - we don't thank our campfire-buddies for every opinion they have, or kit suggestion they have, or word they say. Let's keep it nicely mellow, as it is now. After all, the real face-to-face appreciation of our peers' experience, comments and suggestions comes at the regional and main meets - when it really means something. Face-mail, I call it. Or when you actually try out something you've learned from a thread or post, that's the time to say Thanks in a few words, perhaps detailing your own experiences for others to identify with or learn from.

As my grandfather used to say "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I'm wondering if were discussing different things here. Some are advocating a counter that sits in say the thread title showing the number of thanks with no extra posts showing?, and others (myself included) are worried that we would have tumbleweed boards of empty replies that disrupt the conversation?
Is this the case?
No just a list under the post of people that said thanks so no empty posts or clutter with seperate thanks postings

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Actually, some of us do get that with a button click. As you said, it's the thought that counts.

I don't remember saying that......not generally one of my phrases; I'm more inclined to be actively engaged than sitting wishing well.
However, I still don't see the button clicky thing as being terribly social. Each to their own though....and I do say that :D

cheers,
M

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Just bring back reputation then you can 'thank' without posting in the thread and without cluttering the threa with a list of names. Yes, some will abuse it but I'm sure I've been on a forum that allowedrep but no one could see your points score so it made it a very personal thing rather than the usual whoring you get.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Just bring back reputation then you can 'thbank' without posting in the thread and without cluttering the threa with a list of names. Yes, some will abuse it but I'm sure I've been on a forum that allowedrep but no one could see your points score so it made it a very personal thing rather than the usual whoring you get.

Reading back this may lead to my mates bumming me up which can only end badly. :D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Previously I saw merit in the system but that changed a good while back :( ~ it's too easy for it to be used in a negative way (Let's say 'Tiddly Plomp', in the most polite way, calls 'Squeazil' an idiot and fifty people thank the post ...).

I'm no great fan of 'Plus 1 / +1' or 'What (s)he said!' posts either but at least someone's gone to more effort to contribute than clicking a button.

No just a list under the post of people that said thanks

Why's it important to see who said thanks? Wouldn't a simple 'This post has been thanked' suffice? No names, no numbers, no chance for sycophants.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Previously I saw merit in the system but that changed a good while back :( ~ it's too easy for it to be used in a negative way (Let's say 'Tiddly Plomp', in the most polite way, calls 'Squeazil' an idiot and fifty people thank the post ...).

I'm no great fan of 'Plus 1 / +1' or 'What (s)he said!' posts either but at least someone's gone to more effort to contribute than clicking a button.

Why's it important to see who said thanks? Wouldn't a simple 'This post has been thanked' suffice? No names, no numbers, no chance for sycophants.

Thank goodness, a sensible reply, thanks :) goodjob :You_Rock_:thankyou::bump::mexwave:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Joining this a little late, and I admit I haven't read every post.

I occasionally go onto EDC Forums, they have a "Like" button. It really annoys me that people can nip into the thread and "Like" your post, without any explanation why. Though I suspect there are plenty there who enjoy the **** licking.

It's lazy and a thread killer at times. Ticking a box hardly makes a forum, by definition.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

I occasionally go onto EDC Forums, they have a "Like" button. It really annoys me that people can nip into the thread and "Like" your post, without any explanation why. Though I suspect there are plenty there who enjoy the **** licking.

It's lazy and a thread killer at times.
Ticking a box hardly makes a forum, by definition.

Sums it up nicely.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

It's lazy and a thread killer at times. Ticking a box hardly makes a forum, by definition.

Quite the opposite of all my experiences.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE