Thank you button

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......On a side note, does anyone else find themselves handwriting a letter and trying to put in emoticons ? :eek:

M

No. I've seen them on handwritten notes long before the internet was common though (from as far back as the 60s when I first started writing letters) but I've never used them that way. On handwritten letters and notes they're generally considered effiminate here.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'm not personally keen on the idea, but can see why others would like it :).

For me, I think it's best to respond rather than to just like, it becomes to monotone. Also if someone says"that's great, I love the one on the right". For example, it gives a better understanding of their viewpoint than if they say thanks or like it. :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Maybe the proponents of the like button are to lazy to post in it's favour, whereas we discussion lovers are prepared to write about it?:)......

......I've voted with a lack of presence on boards that are just a series of LIKEs rather than an informative engaging discussion.

I join many discussions simply because I have a Type A personality. I admit it; I'm argumentative (none of you ever noticed that right? :cool:) But not wanting to actually "write something" isn't always about laziness. As I stated before, many times I simply want to show agreement, and for many of us older folks, typing a reply is a bigger deal than some seem to think. Between having weaker eyesight (in my case, cataracts) and being from a generation that has only recently learned to type (a skill hindered in my case by clumsy fingers, and in many others by arthritic fingers) typing even a short reply can be at best, a time consuming event.

And as for voting with your absence on other boards, haven't I already stated my belief that many proponents are likey voting with their absence from this thread?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....For me, I think it's best to respond rather than to just like, it becomes to monotone. Also if someone says"that's great, I love the one on the right". For example, it gives a better understanding of their viewpoint than if they say thanks or like it. :)

I may be wrong but I don't remember anybody ever arguing that it would always be "better" to "like" or "thank" a post rather than reply. Just that in many cases the simple like or thanks would be more appropriate if you have nothing significant to add.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
In this world we seem to try to all be the same, and have the same things across the board.. you go around the world... and what do "we" do try to change that to fit in with what we know.. to make it more home like.

Myself I like the way BCUK is it a very informative forum, that's brought about by the input that people put into it, that gives the forum feeling and character, which I like, and having a Like/Thank you button in my opinion having the "easy" button just makes it another step closer to other sites..... and dumb's down the way the forum is,

This forum is a great one... why try to reinvent it.. just for a set of dumb buttons.

If it does go that way I hope that the Buttons don't count and add to the post counter, I think the post counter help to see how much a person puts into the forum... I know there are ways of upping the count by saying hi to every one, or going into the word assocation.... but it does give you an idea..

Please keep BCUK as it is a very active forum, and not one that's flooded with this person "likes" or "Thanks"

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......If it does go that way I hope that the Buttons don't count and add to the post counter, I think the post counter help to see how much a person puts into the forum...

....I know there are ways of upping the count by saying hi to every one, or going into the word assocation.... but it does give you an idea.......

Even I agree with both these comments.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I may be wrong but I don't remember anybody ever arguing that it would always be "better" to "like" or "thank" a post rather than reply. Just that in many cases the simple like or thanks would be more appropriate if you have nothing significant to add.

I just don't see the need to like something for the sake of it? If I don't like it that much or have anything I'd like too add then why bother filling up cyber space with pointless junk.

And we noticed that your post count is pretty high Santaman:D which I'm glad about as it's usually informative and fun.

...as for voting with your absence on other boards, haven't I already stated my belief that many proponents are likely voting with their absence from this thread? .

Yes I was agreeing and enforcing the point.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Why doesn't someone start a poll with a simple yes/no option, then the powers that be can base a decision off of that.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Please keep BCUK as it is a very active forum, and not one that's flooded with this person "likes" or "Thanks"

TBH one of the reasons I like BCUK so much (as opposed to BCUSA) is that I've found the opposite to be true. I can log on here and scan threads for those relevant in just 20 minutes or so due to the fewrer number of threads. Whereas on BCUSA, the same task would take me hours.

Both forums are very interesting to me but this one is much smaller and thus less activity. Both are far and away ahead of all others.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Shouldn't we ask Tony et all first?

Of course. After all, it is Tony's site and his is the final word. That said, in the thread wayland started on the subject, that was suggested but nothing ever came of it. I don't know id Tony rejected it, or if it simply never got to him. In fact, I don't remember Tony ever weighing in on these threads. (mind you my memory isn't the world's best)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria

That's true, but in most cases I can't see the need for one to be honest...:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You miss the corollary though; suppose someone doesn't hit the like button ?
Does that mean that they don't like the post? or just indifferent? or don't like the like button ?

It could become actively negative, iimmc.

One forum himself is active on bans people who actually write Thank You instead of hitting the Like button :rolleyes: (sorry BR, it's kind of wryly scornful an emoticon, I know, but it does express that feeling) I really don't want to go down that route.

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You miss the corollary though; suppose someone doesn't hit the like button ?
Does that mean that they don't like the post? or just indifferent? or don't like the like button ?....

.....One forum himself is active on bans people who actually write Thank You instead of hitting the Like button....

.....:rolleyes: (sorry BR, it's kind of wryly scornful an emoticon, I know, but it does express that feeling) I really don't want to go down that route.

M

On your first point, no, I didn't miss that. In fact you're absolutely right, anyone not either posting or using the button is very likely appathetic.

On the second point, I'd agree with you. It should never be mandatory, the point is to add options, not take them away (as Big Stu said, we're all different and that's what makes it interesting) In short, there's no reason for it to be an "either/or" decision. There's room for both.

On your last point, I also saw that as a mildly sarcastic jest rather than true scorn.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....And we noticed that your post count is pretty high Santaman:D which I'm glad about as it's usually informative and fun......

LOL. I'm glad you enjoy my posts. But one of the reasons my count is as high as it is results from my inability to combine posts as some of you do by multiquoting.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
On your first point, no, I didn't miss that. In fact you're absolutely right, anyone not either posting or using the button is very likely appathetic.

On the second point, I'd agree with you. It should never be mandatory, the point is to add options, not take them away (as Big Stu said, we're all different and that's what makes it interesting) In short, there's no reason for it to be an "either/or" decision. There's room for both.

On your last point, I also saw that as a mildly sarcastic jest rather than true scorn

Aye believe me Santaman, you know when a Scottish lassie is through with the scorn. Though Toddy's always been a sweetie from what I see and not a nippy one either;) I'll run while I'm ahead...

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Also possibly true (YOU don't see a need for one) But because you personally wouldn't use it, why would you wish to deny the opportunity to those who would?

Fair point, its not a case of denying others, just I'm not sure it would add anything?

Everyone has an opinion :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE