testing with spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
DSC_0002-1-1.jpg

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Bit small though!

Your image manipulation tools should be able to tell you how many pixels an image will take up. Usually it will be a rectangular image so width x height is all you need. You can't know what sort of a screen it's going to be displayed on (might be my 1920 x 1280 monitor or my 320 x 200 smart'phone) so almost all you can do is hope that the viewer has an intelligent way of dealing with it. Most browsers can re-size an image reasonably well but you can make life easier for them by using modest image sizes (a few hundred pixels).

Its a "fine" Jpeg and i was worried it would be too heavy

You need to keep the file size reasonable to avoid long load times, especially over slow links like telephone modems and especially if there are many images to be displayed at one time. For a page with just a few images I like to keep the file size down to about 100kBytes or less. Not so long ago the entire page, images and all, needed to be 20kBytes or less to avoid losing the audience through boredom! With a jpeg you can trade image quality for a reduced file size, you can't do that with all image file types.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE