Testing the water...5 acre wood near Ilkley

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jack by the hedge

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2009
Leeds, W.yorks
As with most things, i'm late to this thread.

I'm in for sure. I don't have a car, so it would be Leeds to Ilkley on the bus/ train which makes life easy. Add into that somewhere to lose arrows and it sounds top.

thanks for sticking with this.

JBTH

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
sounds good to me matey

I think about 8-10 quid per person per night is a good starting spot.

do you have a bit more detail on the local ie an area so we might look at transport links etc

Thanks Dave

sounds good to me matey

I think about 8-10 quid per person per night is a good starting spot.

do you have a bit more detail on the local ie an area so we might look at transport links etc

Thanks Dave

IMO £4-6 is about right. When I take my son Adam with me I have to pay twice so £16-20 per night is expensive. Not that I will make it more than twice a year to this site due to distance, but for this type of camping I think £4-6 is fair.

Last edited:

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I am going to see the site owner this weekend to see if there are any developments.. If you read this thread from the beginning you will see we, Simon and I, are talking about a syndicateof a set number of people paying so much a year.
Let you know what happens.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Seen him this afternoon. He said they have things more pressing on the farm, which is fair enough. It is his living after all.
But it is definitely NOT dead in the water. Bide our time, it will be worth it.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
sounds like a great opportunity, it would definately benefit from having bushy types rather than open public access. almost to a man (or woman) they would respect and care for their surroundings, as long as there are a few basic guidlines.

being just 5 acres, numbers would have to be controlled in order to rotate pitch areas for regeneration throughout the seasons. the airgun/bow areas might be problematic and might be more hassle than its worth.

£5 a night seems a fair price especially to include a bag of wood, i would suggest keep the fees at £5 with the option of buying wood if you want it, not everyone wants logs some may prefer bb coals or liquids, you could allow twig burners honeys etc to tidy up the woodland as a free option, as long as its monitored!

i run a similar private wood in the midlands albeit a little bigger at 23 acres, feel free to pm if i can help :)

Last edited:

KRF1963

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2007
York
As newbies who have just discovered Brockwell woods, we would be interested (me, wife and 2 kids) in something closer to York so we would happily pay Brockwell prices.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Ok, We had the inaugeral meet last weekend. All went well. Present were Simon M. Blacksheep, Chiseller and partner, Palace and friend, Shewie was there a fortnight before for a recce with myself. We constructed a temp dunnie for the weekend and there was a tap in a field about 100 yds away. We will get a tap in the wood and when funds allow will get a composting toilet arranged.
As mentioned earlier, the cost will be £50 payable by the ned of Jan 2012, latest.t his will entitle you to attend 12 monthly weekend meets. A set of rules will be emailed to you. These are needed for the size of the wood. All applicants will be vetted by Simon and myself. So basically we are looking for 30 concientous bushcrafters who take nothing but photos and leave nothing but footprints, ohh and have a spare £50.
Think thats about it. Who wants to be in?

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Sounds good to me, although I work some weekends so might miss a few. I live a few minutes over the moors away, so I could get there ok. I realise I'm very new to all this, but I'd like to be considered.
It'd be a good opportunity for me to learn some skills, too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE