Testing the water...5 acre wood near Ilkley

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
wanderinstar, have you thought about a semi syndicate sort of setup where people can pay to join and non members can only stop there with a trusted responsible syndicate member. usually attracts better more responsible sorta folk and might be a good direction in respect of the wood and wood gathering situation. i agree that on such a small area wood should be left alone. just an idea

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The farmer was ok with the idea of providing a sack of logs in with the camping fee. If people had to buy there own, they may be tempted to use the wood on the ground. After about 6 months that would be gone, then the standing dead wood would go and eventually live trees would be cut down.
The farmer does not want this, he is a friend of mine and I don't want to abuse his trust. To my mind, anyone caught doing any of the above should be asked to leave and not allowed in again. This might sound draconian, but this is a good, small wood and I don't want it to be abused, like Forest Camp in Delamare. For those who remember that far back.

Not too much to ask at all Ian, if folk just treat it as a place to meet rather than a source of firewood then it should keep your friend happy. It's no biggy to grab a bag or two of logs from a petrol station en route.
Offers like this are rarer than a hens teeth, if it was to get abused in anyway then that's bang out of order.

Hopefully we'll get a good bunch together who respect the land owners wishes and have many happy nights there.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
wanderinstar, have you thought about a semi syndicate sort of setup where people can pay to join and non members can only stop there with a trusted responsible syndicate member. usually attracts better more responsible sorta folk and might be a good direction in respect of the wood and wood gathering situation. i agree that on such a small area wood should be left alone. just an idea

Sounds like a damn fine idea to me...Will speak with Ian and the farmer...

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Too many people, too much risk of loosing it unless you're careful. If people don't like the price then adios, if people don't like the rules then adios aswell.
Stick to you rules fella and good luck.
5 acres isn't that big and you're going to have a hard enough time with too many chiefs by the looks of it. Not far from me either so might stick my head in occasionally

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Just seen this, if it happens I would be interested- definitely better as a syndicate for control/keep out the undesireable reasons. A tenner a night is very fair I think- the farmer needs to make something out of it.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
I would love to do something like this and whilst it aint exactly local for me Im more than willing to travel down. I dont get out for bushy things half as much as I should

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Sorry to take so long. Had a lot on my plate just lately. The farmer is OK with the idea of a syndicate. Obviously now, wood will not be included. He may have a supply of logs that can be bought.
Rang him the other day and the family seem OK with everything, but there are some partners to consider. Official answer will probably be until mid December. Don't want to keep pestering him. So we will have to bide our time. Think it will be worth waiting for.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Thank you for your's and Simon's patience & perseverance in this. It is an interesting & exciting prospect and I expect more than a few will be looking forward to mid-Dec in eager anticipation.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Just to keep everyone updated. I spoke to the farmer on the phone aout 2 weeks ago. He said it could be a couple of months before I get a decision. I am beginning to think there is a fly in the ointment somewhere. Will go and see him in person next week.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE